Thursday, February 03, 2011

Valentine's Picture Frame Craft

Something I have been thinking a lot about lately is how to put more creative energy into my marriage. I want to continue to fall in love with John and have fun doing it. I recently ran across a blog that is very encouraging on this front called Today's Letters. They have some very practical suggestions about how to continue to pursue one another.

Onto the picture frame. Yesterday I did something food related, so today I wanted to do something crafty. And I decided to take pictures of it and give instructions, because that is what I do with a blog. So here it is - a Valentine's Day Picture Frame.

IMG_5709

I made a version of this years ago as a gift for John, and yesterday when I had all of these

IMG_5660

sitting on the counter after making Peanut Butter Blossoms, I decided that I should make a Valentine's version. I already had the Valentine themed Hugs, because I am a sucker for holiday themed candy. Especially Peanut M and M's Bunny Mix, but that is another story.

So here is what you need to make this little project, which I completed in about an hour.

IMG_5697

Hershey's Hugs and Kisses, some kind of Mod Podge and a picture frame. (also a paint brush and scissors can come in handy but are not strictly necessary) You may not even need to buy a picture frame if you can go somewhere in your house and find this.

IMG_5696

A box full of picture frames that have yet to find a home in your new home. Maybe I have too many. Very possibly. That said, I didn't need to go buy one. Next step is to take out the glass from your frame.

IMG_5698

Smooth out your candy wrappers by rubbing your fingers across them on the table.

IMG_5700

Arrange your wrappers all over your frame to get an idea of how many you will need and where you want them.

IMG_5701

Start spreading Mod Podge where you want to start sticking your wrappers. A little at a time is the best way to go, because it dries quickly.

IMG_5703

Overlap your wrappers and spread Mod Podge over, under and around them to seal them to the frame and each other.

IMG_5705

Once that is done, you get to start adding the little banners that say "Hugs" and "Kisses," which you also cover in Mod Podge.

IMG_5706

As it was all drying, I trimmed the excess from the edges so it would look less messy.

IMG_5707

And, Ta-Da!, quick, seasonal fun! Side note - this is one of our engagement pictures that was taken by Luke Davis. At the time, he was just a friend of ours from college. Now, he is our brother-in-law. Awesome.

IMG_5714

In other, completely unrelated news, Lily rocked pigtails today that she was really excited about.

IMG_5721

Happy Love Month!

1 comments:

aimingarrows said...

Carol! Love your blog. You are so creative! Love this frame and the wonderful pic of you and John!

Thanks for sharing,
Heidi