Thursday, April 14, 2011

Baked Tilapia and Mango Salsa: Good eating

Last night for food co-op (which I had completely spaced the night before when I said I would bring it - thanks, Lindsay for being so gracious!), I made one of my favorite recipes.  I got it from All Recipes a couple of years back and then customized it to our preferences.

IMG_7169

Here's what you need.

IMG_7132


2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil                          
2 tablespoons lemon juice            
2 tablespoons parsley                                  
2 cloves garlic, minced                            
2 teaspoons dried basil                              
2 teaspoons ground black pepper          
1 teaspoon salt
4 (6 ounce) tilapia fillets

Whisk together the ingredients and pour into a resealable plastic bag or tub. Add the tilapia fillets, coat with the marinade and cover. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour (or longer if it is convenient).

IMG_7154

For the mango salsa, you will need these ingredients.

IMG_7147

2 large ripe mango, diced (I actually always use the frozen Dole mango and defrost it and food process it - it is really easy and tastes great!)
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

I food process all of the solid ingredients to save time on chopping.

IMG_7149

Then, add the lemon and lime juice - and salt and pepper it to taste.

IMG_7152

Once you are ready to bake the tilapia, put it onto a cookie sheet covered in foil and sprayed with cooking spray.  I drizzle extra marinade on each filet for more flavor.

IMG_7157

Bake, covered at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

IMG_7158

Then, uncover, and smother each filet with mango salsa.  Bake at 375 for another 5 minutes, leaving it all uncovered.

IMG_7163

I usually serve this over a bed of rice, and last night I paired it with squash and zucchini that I sauteed with olive oil and Cavender's seasoning.  It feels so light and summery.  The mango salsa that is left over goes well with lot of other things, including chips, though I guess I think anything goes well with chips.  For dessert, I included Poppyseed Bread, which I have been steadily eating since then.  I think I will post that recipe later today, because it is so highly addictive (must be the opium . . .).

2 comments:

Erin said...

Looks and sounds delicious! I'll definitely be trying this. "Poppies..! POPPIEEEEES!!!!"

Kristin said...

Yummm. I need that opium, err, poppy seed recipe. Or maybe I'll just drop by for a slice!