Thursday, September 15, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup: Just the Way I Like It.

      A couple of years ago, I went hunting for a *perfect* Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe.  I wanted something easy, and something yummy.  Generally what I want in all food, really.  After searching high and low, I realized that I should just make up my own way, combining lots of recipes that I found.  So, this is Chicken Tortilla Soup, made just for our family the way we like it.

IMG_9923

      Here's what you need.

IMG_9904

3 boneless Chicken Breasts, cooked and cubed (it really could be any kind of chicken, shredded - whatever you like)
1 avocado
1 onion
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 can of Corn
1 can of Black Beans
1 can of Diced Tomatoes
1 TBsp Minced Garlic
1/4 cup of Lime Juice
1/2 bag of Tortilla Chips
1 Bag of Fiesta Cheese Blend
Sour Cream for garnishing

I said I wanted it to be easy - hence all the canned stuff.  I am sure with fresh ingredients it could be better, but this works for us.

Puree or finely chip both the onion and the avocado.  I use my food processor.  ♥ the food processor.

IMG_9908
IMG_9909

After putting those in the pot over medium heat, add the chicken, and then add all the other canned goods on top of the chicken.  Do not drain them - the liquid from the cans is what helps to make this a soup.  Mix well.

IMG_9910

That is as pretty as this soup gets, because while it is plenty tasty, it is not especially pretty.  When I was making this last night, I also doubled the recipe, so I would have some to freeze.  I should have picked a bigger pot.

IMG_9912

Add your garlic.

IMG_9914

Then your lime juice.  If your pot looks like this, you will be able to feed the army headed to your house.  Or, at least your husband and children.

IMG_9916

Add your cheese and let it melt into the soup.  Then, break up your tortilla chips and throw those in as well.  Sometimes, I don't even break them up.  I just throw them in.  (I had removed the soup I was going to freeze already - that is how there is room in that pot to put anything else in.)

IMG_9918
IMG_9920

After everything is good and warmed through, you are ready to serve.  I usually serve it garnished with more cheese and sour cream and extra chips on the table to dip into it.  Eat up!

IMG_9923

This morning, John brought me petit fours from Community Bakery.  They are already gone.  Good thing I ran this morning.  Thanks, best hubby ever.

IMG_9924

4 comments:

Kristin Murdock said...

This looks really good! I am going to be honest and tell you I'm skeptical of two things: puree-ing and cooking avocado {i like it raw and in big chunks!} and canned corn. I am willing to give the canned corn a try, however, because the finished product really did look quite scrumptious. Thanks for sharing!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This look really wonderful! The gift looks wonderful too.

wallacefamilyblog said...

this looks wonderful! Had to post it to pinterest so I wont forget it. Will definitely have to try it

Tim and Randi Weigle said...

We made this last night! It was so good!! I just had a bowl for lunch and it's even great as leftovers!