Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Cupcakes that Look Like Turkeys

      I titled the post like that, because I would never want someone to assume that I made cupcakes from turkey.  That sounds sort of disgusting, unless it was some amazing Food Network Challenge where the people pureed turkey and used it magically in the frosting and everyone says it is good.  I am still a bit dubious about those sorts of things.  Anyway, these are cupcakes that look like turkeys, and they are easier to make than they look.

IMG_0863

The super cute idea is not mine - it is from Betty Crocker, but I used a different recipe that I think is more fitting, since it is fall-tastic.  The recipe I use is here from All Recipes, and I do add chocolate chips - sort of a lot of them, and I top them with Cream Cheese frosting.  One of these days, I will find a good recipe for it.  Until then, the store bought is tasty and so easy.  Here is what all I used for Cupcakes that Look Like Turkeys.

IMG_0815

1 box of some kind of chocolate cake mix
1 15 oz can of pumpkin
2 eggs
2 TBsp vegetable oil
1 or 2 cups of chocolate chips
Cream Cheese frosting
Almond Bark (not pictured)
Hershey Kisses (also not pictured)
More chocolate chips

Mix first four ingredients together for 3 minutes with a mixer (or in your Kitchen Aid).  I had a helper, as usual.  Turns out, she is getting close to being able to use the mixer, with less assistance from me.

IMG_0821
IMG_0819


Fold in the chocolate chips.

IMG_0822

Pour into cute cupcake wrappers and bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until the knife comes out clean.

IMG_0823

Once they are cooled, frost away!  I like to use decorative tips, because it looks prettier, and honestly, it is easier.  Especially since I learned this amazing trick via Pinterest.  Ahh, Pinterest, you teach me so much.  This has changed my food decorating life.  I am not exaggerating.  Again, my helper was in full force.  Upon licking the spoon, she declared, "Yum.  I really like it."  No doubt, Lily.

IMG_0830
IMG_0835

Melt some chocolate chips in your microwave, and then put them in a ziploc baggie and cut a tiny hole out of the corner.  (If you have regular decorating bags and tips, you could use those as well.)  Pipe the bottom layer of the feathers and allow to cool.  It will cool more quickly in the refrigerator.

IMG_0856

While they are cooling, unwrap some Hershey Kisses and put them into your frosting to be your little turkey heads.

IMG_0858

Next, melt some almond bark and pipe in over the chocolate feathers.  Since it was so humid yesterday and today, these did not really firm up at all until I put them into the fridge for a while.  Then they did great.  While you have the almond bark out, give your little turkeys eyes.

IMG_0860

Once the feathers have hardened up, you can stick them in as tail feathers.  So fun.  Now you have an army of adorable turkey cupcakes ready to conquer the world and bring thankful cheer to all you encounter!

IMG_0865

I took them to our Bible Study brunch where Michelle Duggar spoke.  Though she may have some extreme views, she has got to be one of the kindest women I have ever witnessed and so gracious.  It was a privilege to hear her speak from her heart about speaking to our children's hearts, and how so much of parenting really changes our own hearts.  How I hope our hearts are changed by the Lord in this process.

3 comments:

Linds said...

those are adorable and look DELISH. And oh how I love Michelle Duggar. I am always enlightened and encouraged by her.

wallacefamilyblog said...

those are adorable!

Jennifer Clark said...

These are great, Carol! I made them this weekend to take camping and they were a big hit! Thanks for sharing how to make them.