Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Lunch Time

      Years ago, when I worked at our CFA restaurant, lunch time was the climax of the day.  It was an exhilarating rush to serve so many people so quickly.  Now, my lunch times look very different.  I am only in charge of serving two people, but that sometimes seems harder than the masses at CFA.  Some days, however, things seem to go right.  For brief stretches of time, at least.  Today, lunch was one of those times, so I picked up the camera to document the joy in our daily life.  On the menu - peanut butter and honey sandwiches, a favorite around here, and clementines and milk.  Basic works for us.

Here's how it went down.  Lily often licks the peanut butter and honey off of the bread.  Not sure what she has against bread.  It sounds like we are living in a rain forest, because Lily has cued the "Koi Pond" app on the phone and is carrying it around making sure the fish are okay.

IMG_2387

Bella takes eating time very seriously.

IMG_2396
Picnik collage

Then, there is the "mostly finished with food, time to play" portion of lunch time.

IMG_2407
IMG_2417

And, also, the "maybe I should just eat my bow" portion.

IMG_2419

Lastly, we round it out with some "Tik-a-boo" with the curtains.  That is how Bella says "Peek-A-Boo," and Lily has adopted it as well.

Picnik collage

After getting cleaned up, we head out to the deck for some more playing before naps.  We are loving the gorgeous weather.

IMG_2424

There is a little bit of screaming, but this just comes with the territory for Bella right now.

IMG_2427


Lily spends a good while stacking the alphabet blocks while Bella chases the cat and tries to help Lily intermittently.

Picnik collage
IMG_2441
IMG_2442
IMG_2444

I give Lily her 5 minute playing warning and take Bella to put her down.  Within a few minutes, she looks like this.

photo

Then, Lily and I have a daily ritual where we "read and cuddle" before nap time.  Today she was so cuddly and sweet.

photo

There are good days and bad days round these parts.  In this stage of life, I hear a lot of hard stories about people losing their babies and children, which always hits close to home.  I sometimes wonder how long I will have the opportunity to love and care for the girls, and I want to make sure to soak them up.  I am thanking God for this lunch time and the precious moments it brought.

2 comments:

Mom Spenst said...

Carol, I'm so thankful that you treasure these times with your girls. What a blessing it is to this grandma to know that you take such good care of our grandgirls. Love you!

Kristin Murdock said...

Lily is just a full-blown kid! No more baby... amazing. Love the pig tails and the lunchtime ritual spelled out in detail. And you!