Thursday, June 21, 2012

Classic Blueberry Muffins: The Way They Should Taste

      You know how there are some things that just should taste a certain way?  I am one of those people that finds something that I like, and I tend to stick to it and not change it up much.  If it is the best a certain way, why change it?  Blueberry muffins are one of those things that seem fantastic just as they are, and I have now found a recipe that hearkens back to my own childhood.  These are good, and in my opinion, they taste the way that blueberry muffins should always taste.  Light, fluffy, blueberry-y.  Delicious.

IMG_4423

      I had some extra blueberries from our berry-picking adventure a few weeks ago, so last week, I got this recipe from my friend who said I could share it on here.  (Thanks, Nicole!)  Here's what you need.

IMG_4405

1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup butter or 1/3 cup oil
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups flour
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp lemon juice

Preheat your oven to 375°.  Make sure your blueberries are clean and dry-ish.  In large mixing bowl, beat together butter, sugar, and eggs until light and fluffy (about 4 minutes, or whenever your assistants tell you it is done).

IMG_4410
IMG_4406

This is how they try to stand whenever I am making anything.  Mix baking powder, salt and flour together in a separate bowl.

IMG_4411

Alternately add your flour mixture and your milk to the egg batter, mixing thoroughly.

IMG_4414
IMG_4415

Drop in your lemon juice (lemon extract will work as well).

IMG_4416

Then fold in your blueberries.  I have a thing for fresh blueberries.  I think they are beautiful.

IMG_4418

Line your muffin tin with baking cups - or you could grease them, but really, that is more work.

IMG_4420

Pour in your muffin mixture, filling each cup about 2/3 of the way full.  Every time I am pouring in batter for muffins or cupcakes, I am a bit paralyzed with fear that I will do the wrong amount and get really flat, sad looking results.  This was the right amount for this recipe.

IMG_4421

Bake for 17-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

IMG_4422

Enjoy them warm and maybe with a cup of cold milk, if you like that sort of thing.  I think I enjoyed mine with a cold Diet Dr. Pepper cause that is how I roll.

IMG_4425

0 comments: