Monday, August 20, 2012

LITTLE (AND BIG) HAPPIES

It's weird how life ebbs and flows in its intensity and drama.  This past week brought us very little of those things, though we certainly saw a fair share in others' lives.  Instead, during the past week and weekend, we got to enjoy some of the little and big gifts that God gives us in life.

Here are some of the happies in bullet points.

- New rugs in our kitchen

Untitled

This may not see like a big deal to other people, but about a year ago, I spent much more time than I would really want to admit looking for the perfect rugs to replace the ones that we had.  I ordered some online, which turned out to be even more risky than I imagined.  I returned the rugs and life happened and we made due with the perfectly fine rugs that we had.  Then, magic struck (as it often does) while the girls and I were wandering through Target gnawing on our cheesy pretzels.  And these rugs which are moderny but also a bit rag-ruggy with a chevron pattern that is not over the top and the colors of our home starting singing to me.  They sang loud and kept the best news for the end, "We are on sale!" they crooned to me.  Done and done.

- Seeing a movie with the hubs.  We finally saw the Dark Knight Rises.  It was good.  Everyone else knows that cause they already saw it.

-  MAJOR POTTY TRAINING PROGRESS

Untitled


I seriously doubted whether I would be able to report progress ever.  I was even doubtful all week as Lily was using the little potty in her room, and John was telling me how much progress we were making.  But on Saturday, I found a game-changing piece of evidence in her little potty.  I had told her just that morning that if she could produce that kind of poopy evidence of being a big girl, then we could go to get a pedicure at the real nail salon, as well as play with the legos that we bought last weekend as a prize for this milestone I never thought we would see.  I about fell over backwards when she showed me the potty, and as soon as John got home, Lily and I headed off for pedicures.  She loved it.

We are extremely encouraged to say the least and grateful.  I've said it before, and I will say it again, I am fairly certain that God has allowed this to be so hard for us to help me see that parenting just holds challenges I never dreamed of.  I cannot judge or assume that I know what is going on in other families - there are just difficult kid things that are unique to each family.  While I wouldn't pick for potty-training to be so hard around here - there are ultimately much harder things to face.  And, I am so glad to have progress.

-  Strawberry Rhubarb Pie.  It's just good stuff.

-  Listening to Lily talk to our friend's baby.  She keeps calling her "sweetheart," and it is about the most precious thing I've ever heard.

- Reviews of the Victorio Banana Slicer on Amazon.  Not kidding - I laughed until I cried.  We ate dinner with friends last night who showed us this jewel of outrageous reviews.  Some are stupid, many are funny and it seems all are bogus.  Awesome.  Thanks, Jason and Sarah.


41fUTH+9EcL

That's about all I've got for now.  Happy Monday!

2 comments:

Stefanie said...

I don't know why, but giggling to myself over those banana slicer reviews really made me wish y'all & the Pollacks still lived in NWA. I wish we could hang out with you lots instead of once a year-ish. Any chance both of your families are planning on coming back here now?

Linds said...

the banana slicer made me smile. yall are hilarious!