Friday, November 30, 2012

PICKING PEOPLE, NOT PROJECTS

This week I had a long list of things I thought I should do.  It is Christmas time, after all - that right there always ups the ante.  My gift list isn't long, but I do have one, and I have purchased almost nothing off of it.  I need to order Christmas cards.  I need to put away laundry.  I need to pick up the house.  I need to stop eating dessert.  (I know that doesn't really line up with every thing else, but I was on a roll.)

Instead, I have spent a lot of time with people this week, for various reasons.  It has been rich and full.  It has been hard at times, but oh so good as well.  We had community group at the hospital this week with the Heads.  (Nothing like carrying a crockpot full of white chili to the far end of ACH.  I got some crazy looks.)

Untitled

Everything that has happened with Ava Jane has been so unexpected, but it has been amazing to see God work and see the peace and grace that he gives in these situations.  It has also been a wonderful reminder not to take things for granted.  Anything can change in a moment.  Please pray with us for full healing of Ava Jane - you can follow her story on their blog, as well as see more specific prayer requests.  I am so thankful to serve a God who loves our kids more than we do.

On Wednesday, we drove to Siloam Springs so that John could speak to a group of graduating seniors at John Brown University.  This is the fourth year he has done this, and it is always so enjoyable.  He loves getting to tell them "You will probably not go out and change the world.  However, you can always change Your world."  It's neat to hear the panel each year and impart a tiny bit of the experience that life after college brings.

We have made it a tradition to eat dinner with our dear Becci and Luke and Ellen before the event.  This is becoming crazier as we have more children, and they get louder.

Untitled

And, Luke graciously took more pictures for us.  At this stage in the game, I am racked with a bit of guilt, because Bella especially is very difficult to photograph.  However, I am always always always amazed and impressed at the way he gets great pictures of them every time.  Without fail.  And the odds are stacked against him.  Here's a behind the scenes shot.

Untitled

Today, I've got two of the Heads' boys to help give their (Adam's and Courtney's) parents a break.  The boys are each 3 months younger than my girls, so it is like having a set of almost four year old twins, and a set of two year old twins.  We've had a good time, though a few moments have been crazy.

Untitled

That serendipitous shot about sums it up.

So, while putting people ahead of projects is not always my forte, I am glad for the opportunities.  I can see that this is where life is, and the bottom line is that people are eternal.  Projects are not.  And projects will be there next week.

3 comments:

Mom Spenst said...

Choosing people over projects usually brings much more reward and sure is a good excuse for not getting housework done. :O)

Linds said...

oh my goodness. that last picture of John with (I think it's Lily?) and Lawson is amazing. Bless you for being such a generous friend! I am slightly jealous that you can serve in such a tangible way. It's so hard to watch a friend go through something like this and be so far away that I can't really do anything but be on my knees praying on their behalf.

Courtney said...

Oh my goodness, Carol, that picture says it all! Thanks so much for helping with the kids, I know Donna and my Mom truly appreciated the break! Lawson said he had a great time playing! You all are such great friends, we appreciate your support and are grateful God has given us friends like y'all!