Sunday, December 30, 2012

POWER!

Yesterday brought Day 3 for us of having no power - it was actually Day 5, but we missed the first couple of days from being in Kansas.  Everything at the store was good, so John was able to hang out with us ladies, which made a world of difference for me.

We ate a continental breakfast at our hotel.

Untitled

We went and visited Ms. Frances - an 85 year old woman who works for us who was also without power.  It was an excellent reminder that many people in hard situations were in the same boat - powerless.  She was actually doing really well with a little gas bathroom heater, which was great to discover.

Untitled

I stalked the Entergy Outage map from my phone, hoping for my area to turn green.

Untitled

We went to the Museum of Discovery.

Untitled

And then out to lunch at the River Market, which was super fun.  So many unique options - and so tasty!  We shared a cannoli for dessert.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Then it was back to the hotel for naps.  I went out and ran errands, including picking up stuff from our house for the next day.  As far as we could see, we were not getting power.  Our house was cold and smelled of smoke from camping in our living room a few nights before.

John and I realized that through this ordeal, we seemed to have forgotten our brains.  There were so many things we could have done differently to make this a better experience.  Starting by working together - we had a hard time getting on the same team.  Once we really started working together, things started to click, and we were able to think more clearly.  Amazing how that works.

And then, we drove by the house to pick up one more thing and found this -

Untitled

Hurrah!  I literally screamed and squealed with delight.  We immediately switched gears to be able to spend the night at our house and unpack and do laundry and clean out the fridge.  It's definitely the most organized and clean the fridge has been in a while.  I'm glad Diet Dr. Pepper doesn't go bad.

Untitled

So, we are now warm and happy at home, thank the Lord.  Many of our friends also got power back last night, so it was fun to rejoice all together.  However, there are still so many people that don't have it.  And it's cold.  It's also just a bit miserable to be a vagabond - especially with kids.  We realized very quickly that this is the kind of thing that would be a bearable adventure for adults, but once you add kiddos to the mix, it becomes a massive ordeal.  Keeping them warm and situated becomes top priority and requires a lot of effort without your own house at your disposal.

I think in the end I have realized many things.

1.  I am a giant baby when it comes to discomfort.  I often like to think that this would not characterize me, however, I have been deluding myself.  My true self is not good at inconvenience.
2.  Everything is better with friends or family around, and because John had to handle things at the store, I had more time by myself (with my children) than I am used to.  That made this harder than it might otherwise have been.
3.  It was a very real reminder that people regularly have to live like this.  People have to sleep in the cold.  People don't have a home to go to.  People don't have others they know offering to take them in.  People don't have the resources and relationships to make it through hard events in their life, and they are stranded.  And that is stressful.  It made me wonder what ways that I should be working on their behalf.  We have so much, and I want to be better at sharing.
4.  I have berated myself a bit for how badly I have responded to this whole thing.  Some of that is justified, because I behaved poorly much of the time.  However, it does me no good to stay stuck thinking about how it could have been different and continuing to think about myself.  The sermon at church today reminded me of God's grace that is free and always covering me.  I have repented of my heart issues and am asking God to work inside me.  Because of that, I don't have to wallow in guilt - I get to move forward and ask God what I should do differently today.
5.  Having power is really such a wonderful thing.

I'm hoping and praying that others in Little Rock receive their power soon.  Certainly, there are people that need it on much more than we did, and I hope it comes quickly.

4 comments:

Amber said...

Its amazing how we take power for granted these days. Power is such a wonderful thing for sure!

Morgan Smith said...

Hurrah for power!!

Morgan Smith said...

Hurrah for power!!

Linds said...

When the big ice storm of 2009 hit, it was pretty bad, but bearable b/c we didn't have kids. However, it was bad enough that it made Drew invest in a generator, because he realized there was no way we could have done that with kids. Funny, that we've not had to use the generator since then, so it's still brand new. But good to know that we have that as a backup.

So glad you guys got power back!