Monday, January 21, 2013

HORSE PARTY DETAILS

If you are looking to throw a horse party, this blog post should be very helpful.  Otherwise, it may be a bit boring - fair warning.  For most of the party pics - click here for that blog post.

When I am planning a party - actually, when I am planning just about anything, I use Evernote.  It's an app for your computer and phone that syncs up and keeps all your notes in place.  I love it, and it definitely helps me stay organized with all the little details.

The first thing I found for this party was the invitation and printable pack, from 3 Little Monkeys Studio.  I decided to purchase it all, because I liked it so much and didn't think I could make anything better.  It was exactly the look I wanted.

HorseInviteFINAL

I ended up using almost all of the printables for something or another.  They were so cute!

Here they are wrapped around the invites.

Untitled

And on the water bottles.

IMG_2109

For other decorations, I mainly used balloons.  I usually buy a helium tank from Hobby Lobby for 40% off for parties.  I found the giant horse balloon online from Amazon, and the pink and white pearlized balloons are from Hobby Lobby.  We also bought some flowers at Sam's, but totally forgot about them, so they graced the inside of John's car for the party.  I also used burlap on all the tables.

IMG_2108

I found a tutorial to make Hobby Horses on this blog, and it was excellent.  Very easy to follow, and it included a printable pattern.  If you can do basic sewing, you could do this.  I got the idea for bean bag horse shoes from this blog, but I didn't follow the instructions.  I should have, because I would have made the bean bags bigger and flatter for the kids to throw.

Untitled
IMG_2217

The horses will be fun toys to have around for a long time, so that feels like a win.  I went out on a limb and did a "Paint Your Own Horse" station with paint pens and plastic horses.  I ordered the horses through the Dollar Tree, and they were delivered to the store for free.  I didn't want little tiny horses or horses that I had to pay $6.99 a pop for, and these were $1 each, which seemed like a great deal.  The only catch is that you have to order by the case, which is a lot of horses.

IMG_2140

Then, I spray painted (and by I, I mean that I did one round of the spray-painting and John did the rest, because he is amazing) them cream and a few pink to be decorations.  This took a couple of good coats, but went pretty quickly.  Though, you might want to double-check those facts with John.

The Menu for the Party was as follows:

Pink Lemonade
Capri-Suns
Mini Water Bottles
Pigs in a Blanket
Cake
Cupcakes
Carrots/Ranch
Apples
Mac n Cheese Bites
CFA Nuggets
Almond Bark covered Ritz/Peanut Butter
Marshmallows/covered in chocolate
Trail Mix

For the favors, I wanted to keep it simple.  I didn't even get a picture of what was inside - it was Cracker Jack's and a strip of horse stickers that I ordered from Amazon.  I made the cookies using cookie cutters I also ordered from Amazon.  (The Horse Shoe, the Horse Head, and the Horse)
IMG_2206

I made the cake - I found this cake through Pinterest and found this tutorial for icing it.  After a buttercream disaster the night before the party, I was able to mix up the Wilton Buttercream Recipe and frost the cake the morning of the event.  I do love the way it turned out.

IMG_2094

That about sums it up.  It was fun, but I am glad it is over and that I have a long time til another birthday party.

1 comments:

Hannah said...

Of course it's all amazing, but I like the horse cake the best, the roses and the horse. Awesome.