Friday, August 30, 2013

TWINS' MOSTLY COMPLETE NURSERY

Now that the babies are four months old, it is high time their nursery was finished.  Or, at least, mostly finished.  That day has come at last - though they are still sleeping in our room since Violet is not consistently sleeping through the night.  I do love doing nurseries.  Here's what the room looked like when it was Bella's nursery.  I posted a while back about some of the nursery progress here, and now, I am posting the pictures of it mostly complete!

It is loosely travel themed, though I probably went overboard a bit.  I just love maps and globes and the like.

Untitled

I made a bunch of rainbow dots to hang from the ceiling.  The colors match the colors in the bedding fabric.  I cut the circles out using my Silhouette and sewed them together.  Then I hung them using push pins.  I am a bit in love with the result, as are all children in the home.  Both girls regularly tell me how pretty the dots are, which is really sweet, and I catch the babies staring at them.

IMG_4929
IMG_4933

I found an old suitcase at a flea market that John cut in half for me so I could put their painted names on each side.

IMG_4931
IMG_4932

Here's a close up of the bedding that I made.  My sister is making quilts to match it all, which are darling.

IMG_4942
IMG_4943
IMG_4944
IMG_4945

We hung globes, mostly found at flea markets, except two of the smaller ones purchased on Amazon,  above the changing table.  The gray paisley curtains were purchased from Target.

IMG_4925
IMG_4936

We've ended up keeping the chair in the room, even though it doesn't really fit perfectly well.  It's nice having a chair in there, and because of where the cribs needed to be, it works for us.  Above the chair, we hung another old suitcase that John turned into a shelf.  The two planes were both painted by John's grandfather, and the map of Little Rock hung in my dad's office when we lived here while I was growing up.  It's sort of amazing to have all that history.

IMG_4928
IMG_4938
IMG_4939
IMG_4940

On the wall with the closet and door, I hung another old map affixed to canvases, some small paintings with fabric behind them and Violet's bow holder.  Always a nursery necessity.

IMG_4946
IMG_4947
IMG_4948
IMG_4949
IMG_4950

And that about sums it all up.  Doing a boy/girl nursery was definitely a challenge, but I like the way it came out, and I certainly look forward to the night when both babies are sleeping in it all night long!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Way to go, girl! Such a great job! I think the colorful dots are the most amazing type of design/mobile I've ever seen! I'm in the brainstorming phase of re-doing our nursery - as a nursery that will function primarily as a diaper changing room since I co-sleep for years and years, as it turns out. I'm hoping I can make it a dual-purpose room (maybe sewing/painting?) as time goes by. but there is something so fun about even the brainstorming phase...

Kaity Best said...

Beautiful!