Friday, January 03, 2014

BOUNCING BACK TO LIFE

It's January 3, and we are getting back to the swing of things.  Sort of.  We are swinging without any of our normal stuff, so it still feels a little haywire, but we are managing.  Obviously.

Here's our big news this week.

-  Violet is a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad sleeper.  Every night around 11:45, our baby dinosaur begins squeaking.  I feed her and try to put her back down.  But, most nights - she's awake, and she wants to party.  In an attempt to shut down this horrendous pattern that often wakes William, we are starting to move her into a pack n play in the office in our house so she can cry it out a bit, after we have addressed all of her needs.  Since she has hardly ever had to cry at night, we decided it was time.  No one wants a baby dinosaur in charge of their sleep, especially me.  We're hoping she responds well to sleep training - after crying just a bit (but much more than we've ever let her while in the nursery with William), she slept the rest of the night without a problem.  I'm hoping this brings good tidings of great sleep that will be for all parents in this house.

IMG_5566

- Trampoline parks are awesome.  A new one opened up right by our house, and we checked it out yesterday to much fanfare and fun.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

-  Being at a trampoline park that is newly opened over Christmas break has some major hazards.  There were a ton of people, and the lines were not at all organized.  This meant it felt like you were always waiting in a huge, fat line of people that kept growing instead of shrinking to get in.  At one point, I actually stopped a woman from using a computer in front of me, and she said she had been waiting in a separate line that did not, in fact, exist.  I told her that was not how it worked, and she stepped out of my way.  I think we both felt sort of huffy about it.

-  I became a massive hypocrite not 10 minutes later while waiting in another line.  I saw the same woman go up to a cashier and get her tickets quickly.  I followed her lead and had bracelets in about 2 minutes.  Then, after trying to wait in the line again with my friend, I told her to do the same thing.  This meant that our kids actually did get to jump during the "toddler time."  I am not proud of these actions, but I also cannot whole-heartedly say that if I were presented with the swelling lines again, I would not do it all over again.  I think I would.  Hopefully they will get a better line and cashiering system worked out.  It looked like this as we were leaving.

Untitled

- You do need your baby's paci if you want her to fall asleep for nap time.  Violet is actually a great napper - she deserves credit where she can get it.  But, yesterday afternoon, I could not find her paci anywhere.  And, I knew I had just had it.  You know the feeling.  I retraced steps.  I gave her alternate pacis that she quickly discarded with angst.  At long last, I found it.

In the street.  Where it had somehow been pulled off while getting the mail.

Untitled

I'm so glad I found it, because I realized that I have made a MOM 101 mistake and don't have any extras of her specific kind of paci.

-  Bella is now mostly potty-trained.  We realized recently that she could go potty whenever she felt like it in the toilet, and that mostly, she just didn't feel like doing it.  She has had a fondness for going into public restrooms, and I have nicknamed her my little "Bathroom Tourist."  So, this week of no schedule, I decided it was time to get serious and get this job done.  We just needed a little motivation.

Since the girls are fairly obsessed with all things Frozen,  (see picture below of Frozen puzzles being assembled on breakfast nook table)

IMG_5569

when we came across Frozen princess dresses at Wal-Mart this week, the girls were smitten.  I told Bella that if she can wear undies and use the toilet for everything for a week, then she could have the Elsa dress that she was longing for.  I bought it last night and hung it in the kitchen as a reminder.

Untitled

So, Bella has been almost perfect since then.  Amazing how far a little motivation will carry you.  And also marshmallows - they can carry you a long way too.

Afterlight

-  Right after this picture was taken, for reasons only known to her, Bella decided to go and wake up the sleeping twins.  I was able to get Violet back to sleep, but I have Mr. William out here with me.  While I love his sweet company, I really like nap time too.  Hurricane Bella strikes again.

Afterlight

-  Princess birthday preparations are well underway.  I obviously had help with the cookies this morning.

Untitled

That pretty much sums up our big news.  I hope you are easing well into your 2014.

0 comments: