Tuesday, March 11, 2014

LATELY: HIGHS & LOWS

The last couple of weeks have been a blur.  I feel like a broken record who must always be saying that phrase, and yet, nothing else rings more true about the pace at which life is passing by right now. It is full and rich.  Here are a few of our highs and lows.

Low: Never ending winter that included an early March ice storm canceling most of our activities for three days last week.  Some parts of hanging around the house were nice - like staying in our pjs for much of the day.

Untitled

Other parts were less nice - like having our drive way and more importantly, the entire parking lot of our restaurant, turned into sheets of ice.

Untitled

High:  My children really and truly love one another, and for that I am so grateful.  People often ask me how the girls feel about the twins, and I always tell them how much they love them.  I don't take it for granted.

Untitled
Afterlight
Afterlight
Untitled

Low:  Paperwork.  Since the babies are starting therapy, I have had a mound of paperwork to do.  I do feel like doing paperwork for two different kinds of adoptions helped to prepare me for this, but this is an area I would rather not be an expert in.  However, it is finished!  At least this round of it is.

Afterlight

High:  Last week, when we got the word that life was canceled on Wednesday, I was with my friends who immediately pulled me out of a downward spiral by suggesting a playdate for the morning.  It was just what I needed to get us out of the house, and the children were so glad as well.

Afterlight
Afterlight

Low:  Lily has been showing some hoarder-esque tendencies.  She has started checking the trash to make sure that we haven't thrown away anything she values.  And she seems to place value on things we cannot understand.  We are trying to be sensitive and also teach her how to let go of things.  Also, I am getting better at hiding stuff in the trash.

Afterlight

Low:  Being three is a real challenge.  All of the time at home last week gave me plenty of opportunities to see that Bella would prefer to do life her way, which I can relate with.  Unfortunately for her, we have to mostly do things my way at the house.  This has proven to be a bit contentious.

Afterlight

High:  John and I attended a marriage conference this weekend at our church.  It was great and full of truth.  One of my favorite quotes that had little to do with marriage but more a great life principle was "Waiting immediately announces that you are not in charge of the world."  I've thought of it often as I find myself annoyed with waiting for just about anything.  It's a good reminder that I don't run the universe and that is definitely for the best.

High:  We took our CFA team bowling to celebrate being the number one restaurant in Little Rock in 2013.  It was a great time to be together and thank them for being a great group to work with.  (There were lots more people there, but I didn't get many pictures!)

IMG_7196
IMG_7206
IMG_7207

High:  Seeing the girls bowling - they loved it!  I don't think that a bowling ball has ever rolled more slowly.  In fact, one time, the ball got to the pins and knocked over the first one, but then it stopped.  It didn't have any more juice to keep rolling after that.  But, Lily and Bella thought it was so fun and kept wanting to know who had scored more.  With a grand total of 49 points to 39 points, Lily was the big winner of their game.

Afterlight
Afterlight
(The ramp did help speed the ball up considerably.)

Low:  I've been to an after hours clinic twice in the past week.  Once for Violet, who had a double ear infection and bronchiolitis, but you would never have known except for that she had started wheezing.  There was no fever, and she was as happy as a clam.  The doctor was shocked when he looked in her ears.  The other time was for me, but I am on antibiotics and on the mend.  

Untitled

As usual, life is good with the normal ups and downs.  Right now, I am smiling down at William who got up from nap before Violet did.  This is a usual occurrence, and he is so happy.  He loves to shake his head and laugh about it.  The girls are playing outside in the backyard, soaking in the sunshine.  Spring is on the way, and the Spenst family will be welcoming it with open arms.  I'm so thankful that God designed the world with seasons and unique things to enjoy and embrace in each one, and I am thankful that the cold season will be leaving us soon.  This year, I won't be sorry to see the back of it.

0 comments: