Monday, April 07, 2014

OUR FIRST THEFT: HELLO KITTY STRIKES AGAIN

This day was bound to come around sooner or later.  While at home last night, John showed me this Hello Kitty eraser and said, "Lily says that Bella took this from therapy.  Is that true?"

Afterlight

After a cursory glance, I was able to affirm that Lily was tattling the truth.  Hello Kitty did come from the waiting room of where the babies have therapy.  I vividly remember Bella asking to keep it and telling me it was Hello Kitty, so it could come to our house.  (She really loves Hello Kitty - her last party being exhibit A.)  I told her that we could not take the eraser, because it was not ours.  It belonged in that waiting room.

That was on Thursday.

I had no idea that she had taken it with us, and when it came time to confront her about it last night, I was absolutely no help to John.  He actually told me this morning that I was negative help.  I had a sullen Bella on my lap, and for whatever reason, the hilarity of it all overcame me.  I was shaking with silent laughter while John was questioning her.  I was totally put over the edge and had to leave the room when John asked, "Do you know what it is called when you take something that is not yours?"

Bella's response: "Hello Kitty."

Still cracks me up.  But, the serious parent side of me knew that this needed to be addressed, so when we headed back to therapy today, we took the eraser with us.  Thankfully, the woman at the front desk took us seriously when returning an eraser and told Bella we were doing the right thing.  Bella was mortified and muttered her "I'm sorry" into my shoulder while looking at the lady.

As we were leaving, I was pondering many deeper parenting issues.  The fact of the matter is that I can help to teach Bella what is right and what is wrong, but at the end of the day, I am powerless to impact her heart.  I can only help modify her behavior.  God is the one that will have to do the heart changing, because at the end of this day, I am not sure whether or not Bella is actually sorry.  Only God can see what is going on behind her clear blue eyes, and I can only pray that he will work inside of her in his time.

I buckled Bella in to leave, and asked again, "When we take something that doesn't belong to us, what is that called?"  Again, Bella responded with, "Hello Kitty," so I am sure that the message that we shouldn't steal is sinking in over here.  I told her that it was called stealing, and it is wrong, and ultimately, it makes God sad when we steal.  He doesn't want us to.

When I finished saying this, Lily chimed in with, "But he loves us anyway."

And tears came to my eyes, because she is right.  He loves us no matter what we do, and at the end of the day, that is one of the primary things I want my children to understand.  No matter what you do.  No matter how far you run.  No matter where you go.  He loves you and that love will never change.

It's a blessing to know that some things are getting through.  By God's grace.

0 comments: