Tuesday, May 13, 2014

GIRLS GETAWAY TO MEMPHIS

What do many mothers of young children want to do on Mother's Day weekend?  Have someone take care of their precious darlings for them, that's what.  Just being honest.  It can be an exhausting gig, at times.  If you're friends with Courtney - then you may have already read about our fun weekend - either way, here's my take.

We try to get away as the guys and girls from our community group at least once a year.  The guys are great at going camping every winter.  {see 2014 and 2013}  We girls are not quite as awesome at figuring out the best time and place to getaway {I think our last official one was in 2011} - but this time we nailed it.  And everyone got to come, even if it was by the skin of their teeth, because with this many children in play - 24 kids and counting - someone is bound to be sick with something.

There are a few standards for a girls' weekend at this stage in life.

 - at least one nursing mother who needs to pump, check

{no picture included}

 - talking, talking, talking and never running out of things to talk about, check

Afterlight

 - lounging at restaurants for as long as it is allowed, check

Afterlight
(We sat there long enough for them to set our dessert on fire.)

 - usually some sort of fun shopping, check

Untitled
(Why can't I take home all of the $1,500+ chippy turquoise coffee tables?)

 - some sort of pampering, check

Untitled

This getaway had all the right ingredients.  It never gets old laughing and sharing life with these beautiful women.

Untitled
(After seeing this picture, I realized that Courtney and I belong in the 'loud pants, large necklace' club. One man who walked past us actually said, "Those are some really fun slacks that ya'll are wearing."  I kid you not.)

We had a fondue dinner that lasted almost four hours at the Melting Pot.

Afterlight
Afterlight
Afterlight
(This is my friend who had to wear the eyepatch last week after hitting her pupil with a kids' toy.  Thankfully, she has been upgraded to glasses and has full eye-sight!)

We ate at the Elegant Farmer in midtown Memphis.  The menu had so many amazing options that we were paralyzed when it came time for decision making.  I ordered the Ham and Pear with Arugula Sandwich, which later caused my tastebuds to cheer in delight.  Well done, Carol.  When there is that much menu agonizing, it feels good to get it right.

Untitled

And the view at lunch really rounded out the meal.  It was beautiful.

Untitled

We hit up Starbucks and had a dashing young barista figure out a way to extend the happy hour - you can bet that made for a Suburban full of happy mommas.  Half-price frappuccinos for the win.

Untitled

Our last stop in Memphis was Sweet Noshings, which has only been open six months.  It is a candy/popcorn bar.  Yes, please.




You would have thought that we had never seen popcorn.  They gave out free samples in little bags, and we just kept trying new flavors.  We managed to buy quite a bit, and I am now regretting that I didn't buy even more.  I have already finished two bags all by myself.  I purposefully got a flavor just for John that I knew I wouldn't like just so I wouldn't eat his "Thank You for Keeping All of our Children Alive" gift.


I asked hopefully if they have any plans to expand to Little Rock and was tragically informed that it is not currently in their business plan.  But - they are working on a website.  And, Nicole is moving to Memphis, so I may just have to put in a popcorn order every time she heads this way.  I am not kidding about that, Nicole.

All in all, it was a delightful time, and I would not change a thing.  I'm so very grateful for these wonderful friends who challenge and delight me over and over again.  What a blessing.  And, I came home to a clean house and kids in bed.  Happy Mother's Day to me - way to go, John!

0 comments: