Friday, July 25, 2014

LATELY

Lately I've been up to a bit of this and that.  Here's a smattering of it.

Some of our friends hosted a "Framing Party" for their home.  We wrote Bible verses on the frames and prayed and had s'mores and generally stood around talking while we sweated.  It was a great evening, and I can't wait to see the way the Lord uses this home!

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

This is how Violet rides in the stroller everywhere we go.  She is the queen of the stroller.  Old women that we run into in public often look askance at us and tell me she is going to fall out.  I just say, "She hasn't fallen out yet!"

Untitled

Having children has many unintended consequences.  One night this week, I woke up to John shaking his alarm clock and eventually throwing it across the room, which was confusing to us both.  One of the girls had set the alarm, and since he never uses it, he didn't know how to turn it off.  That's just what you need in the middle of the night.

Speaking of the middle of the night - the girls have also started migrating to our bed for the first time in their lives.  Bella started this, but Lily was quick behind her.  It was cute in the early morning, but the cuteness wore off when they showed up at 4:30 am and 2:30 am a couple of nights this week.  We made a strict rule that they couldn't crawl into our bed unless it was light outside, and so far, they have happily obliged, which has meant better sleep for us.  When the alarm isn't going off.

Lately I've made a bunch of cookies, including 8 dozen last week alone.  That was a bit much, but I did make some of my favorites ever last week.  They are just so bright and festive!  I've wanted to do bunting on cookies for just about forever, so I was glad I got the chance.  One idea that has been rolling around my head is to host a cookie decorating night - is that something that anyone out there would have any interest in?  I'm not sure when/if I can pull it off, but it sure sounds fun.

Untitled
IMG_7858

I've had several opportunities to navigate parenting issues in the past couple weeks - always, really.  Yesterday, after I had had a firm talk with Bella, she went downstairs, and I heard her saying, "Mama is a very bad girl." over and over again.  That lead to more firm talks about how we honor our parents, though I did laugh out loud when she couldn't hear me.  I also overheard Lily tell Bella, "I hate you when we are picking up."  And, to be honest, I don't blame her for the sentiment - Bella is notoriously hard to work with when picking up.  However, I did go in and try to explain that we don't use the word hate towards our sister ever and work on teaching other ways to communicate.  I feel like I am constantly teaching them how to communicate with one another, and then it hit me - somebody has to, so I am glad that it gets to be me.

One of the other things we are trying to figure out is the twins' therapy schedule for the fall.  I have made the choice not to put them into the preschool, because it is from 8-3 Mon-Fri, and I don't want to give up all that time with them.  I feel like this is my shot to build the best connection possible with them, and I am not ready to forfeit it.  Thankfully, when I explained that to the Services Coordinator, she was really understanding and said she would try to work something out for us.  I'm hoping and praying that our fall schedule is not absolutely crazy with the start of school and everything else.  We shall see.

We've also had a bit of fun.  We enjoyed the splash pad with our community group a while back.  I also went to the pool with the kiddos and several friends.  I got no pictures, because William wanted to be held pretty much the whole time.  He is certainly no fan of the water yet - he just shivers a lot.  Probably because this summer has been so mild.  So, the pool is not really our favorite place this year.  I keep reminding myself that there will be other summers.

Untitled
Untitled

We have several visits from people to look forward to in the next couple of weeks, and now I need to go finish picking up the house for family that is currently in route.  Looking forward to some cousin time!  Hope your have a joyful weekend in your future!

1 comments:

susannem said...

I love your cookies!