Friday, August 15, 2014

BECOMING A REGULAR IN THE ER

Untitled

We've been to the ER three times in the last six weeks.  First week of July, last week of July and Wednesday night of this week.  We had never been to the ER with any of our kids before this little stretch.  But, the second and third times that I have visited with Violet, at least one or more members of the staff have recognized us.  I never wanted to become a regular at the ER, and every time it has been the same routine.

Violet gets a tiny cough.

She starts wheezing.

I hope the wheezing will get better.  I give her the rescue inhaler.  I give breathing treatments.  I suction her nose.  She loves all of these things so much.  (super sarcasm font)  I time her breathing.  I call the medical exchange.

She keeps wheezing, and it gets worse and worse.  Not better.

Then we head to the ER.  I skipped calling the medical exchange this time, because I just knew.  The pre-dinner breathing treatment did seem to help for a bit, but by bedtime, she was wheezing up a storm, and I knew that it would only get worse.

Untitled

Each time we've headed into the ER, it's been the same there.  The receptionist hears Violet breathing and immediately calls someone over.  We bypass the waiting room full of people and paper work and head straight to triage.  I answer the same questions a couple of times.  Violet waves and says, "Hiiii" - one of her few words.  She squirms while they try to take her pulse-ox, and we inevitably end up having tape wrapped all over her foot after she's kicked the reader off of her big toe several times.

Untitled

She gets steroids and several breathing treatments.  This time our respiratory therapist sounded just like Morgan Freeman.  His laugh seemed to belong in a movie.  As we held a fighting Violet for her second breathing treatment, I was saying a steady stream of things mothers say like, "It's okay, sweetheart.  Just a little longer, darling.  I'm so sorry, sugar."  Violet is no Shrinking Violet, for which I am quite grateful.  She needed that fight at the beginning of her life, and she has yet to give up the habit.

Respiratory therapist/Morgan Freeman (we'll just call him that from here on out) heard me calling her "Sugar" and noted that there was a bit of vinegar there as well.  He kept commenting on her "Vim" and "Vigor," and it was actually soothing instead of annoying, because it was Morgan Freeman.  Violet did fight two adults for the full 13 minute treatment, bless all of our hearts.

Thankfully, we only had to get two treatments last night.  Then, they kept us for observation to make sure her breathing was controlled.

Untitled

After 30 very squirmy minutes where she pulled out my earring, and threw it to the ground along with other stuff from my purse and a toy that Morgan Freeman gave her, Violet finally succumbed to sleep in my arms, which then transitioned to sleep in my lap.  I was smart about this trip and brought the paperback copy of the book I've been listening to, and once she fell asleep, it was actually quite a pleasant time.  They leave you pretty well alone when you've got a sleeping baby who is breathing well.  Everyone sort of tip toes in and listens carefully with their stethoscope to her back or chest as it rises and falls peacefully.  They speak in whispers.

Untitled
Untitled

Around midnight, it was time to go home, and since my legs and backside had fallen asleep with Violet, I was ready to get going.  I cannot say that getting off of the bed was graceful.

On Monday, the babies had their well-check visit, and the doc prescribed a daily inhaler to help control the asthma.  I picked it up right before we headed to the ER, so a lot of good it did us this week, which was my fault.  But - we started it this morning, so I am hopeful that this will be our last ER visit for a while.

As I held her in my arms while she slept, I thought, "She is worth it all.  I'm so glad I get to be the one doing this with her."  And I really am.  God gave me this gift, and I'm so thankful.  I prayed over her last night that he will use her fight for his glory.  I look forward to see who this strong girl will become and the ways that he will use her unique story.  Personally, I'm hoping that unique story involves fewer trips to the ER in the future.

0 comments: