Monday, August 04, 2014

WHEN KRISTINEATS CAME TO TOWN

I have this awesome friend named Kristin.  I've written about her before here on the blog, because she has had a brutal past year, and it has touched many lives along the way.  Last November, another friend and I went out to visit her in San Diego, before her son was born.  At that time, they already knew that he was not going to live, and so we wanted to help celebrate his life and give some fun in a dark time.  Branch lived a full week - something that is fully astounding in a child with his diagnosis. Now that Branch is gone, Kristin and Glenn are doing the hard work of grieving their son - something that no parent should have to do.  Babies were not meant to die, and working through that reality is draining and exhausting.

Being so far away, it often seems hard to know how to help, but I thought a visit to Arkansas might be a welcome distraction.  When I invited her, I gave Kristin a fair warning that there are many small children here, and so the time would not be nearly as footloose as when we were in San Diego.  She decided to come, and I'm glad to say that the time was good.

On the fun side, we had a delicious girls' night at Local Lime with lots of dips and Margaritas that were only sipped, because they are so very strong.

Untitled


We visited a new fun coffee shop in town (Mylo's), and her favorite place - Boulevard Bread Co.


We managed a couple of playdates with lots of little friends underfoot.



Violet especially loved Kristin.


I did have the constant reality of my own children, who turned out to be quite needy at times.  Violet required another trip to the ER, this time at 5:00 a.m.  We stayed for about four hours, until her breathing was under control again.  Poor girl.  She has since been suffering from some "roid rage" from the steroids, so I am hopeful that we can avoid another similar scene.



All in all, it was doing real life with a great friend in tow, which meant excellent conversation, some tears and many excuses for good food.  I wish with all of my heart that Branch were still here on Earth with us all.  But since he is in Heaven, I am glad we got the opportunity to spend some time talking over his time here and being reminded of what a gift he is.  I'm so thankful that Kristin is so open and willing to share his memory with us.

Untitled

Until next time!

1 comments:

Kristin Murdock said...

Aaah! I love this! The picture of Violet jumping with me is precious. Xoxo. Thanks for being you, for being so kind to me, for really bearing the burden with me.