Friday, November 14, 2014

16 ON 13: DAY IN THE LIFE

Here's another little day in the life post, which makes four blog posts for me in one little week!  I don't think this has happened in a long time.  Though - to be honest, all the writing has made me a little annoyed with the sound of my own voice in my head.  If you're just reading it, you can stop at any time, but I can't seem to turn it off.  It's always there.

Anyway.  Yesterday I woke up and glanced outside and actually thought that someone had scattered shreds of white paper all over our back yard.  Nope - that's just "Snow"vember* come to rear its ugly head.  (*saw this somewhere on Facebook.  I am not that clever.)  So - around 7 a.m., this was my view - gorgeous fall foliage mixed with leaves covered in snow on the ground.

Untitled

A little after 8, it was time to drop off these cuties.  Lily had already been dropped off.  Getting four kids ready in the morning often feels like it should qualify as an Olympic Sport, and with the dawning of Snowvember, the degree of difficulty was increased with trying to wrestle each child into a coat.  I often feel like I deserve a medal.  Also, now that it is cold, I actually have to put shoes and socks on the twins every time we leave the house.  If you will notice in this picture, that feels like an exercise in futility.


Around 9, I was finishing up time on the elliptical while listening to an audiobook.  I have really loved reading Kate Morton's books, and though this one hasn't been my favorite, I have quite enjoyed it!


10 a.m. found me trying to organize my closet.  I've made a pact with myself that I cannot purchase any new clothes until my current clothes are better arranged/not in piles/able to be found.  I'm glad I am making myself do this, but it does feel harder than it should.


Around 11 a.m., I was trying to unsentimentally donate the shirt that I was wearing when we got engaged 10 years ago.  On second thought, I might send it down to the craft room closet and give it new life as a craft in some far away future time when I do craft projects just for fun.



This shot is actually around 12:30ish as I'm pulling into the garage and both twins have fallen prey to the dreaded car nap.  They actually still will usually nap after falling asleep in the car, but I can see that I will have to watch this trend closely.


Around 1 - I was going through our mail and got to this picture of one of our sponsored children.  She and Lily have the exact same birthday, and so we've been able to see them grow up together.  I teared up when I saw how big she looked and how happy!  It's the first smiling picture we've gotten of her.


At 2 p.m., Lily and Bella and I were at the dentist office waiting for their appointments.  Our babysitter had come down with the flu, and John had rushed home at the last minute to care for the sleeping twins so that I would only have to take the big girls.  Lily had been complaining about her teeth hurting for a couple of weeks, and I was just sure they were going to find a cavity.  However, the x-rays revealed that her big teeth are getting ready to come through, and I almost started crying again realizing that she's getting so big!



By 3 p.m. I had banished the girls to their room for a little Lego time while the babies were still asleep and took a little downtime myself.



4 pm brought wakeful twins.  Violet had managed to smear poop all over her clothes, and William was clutching that kitty like his life depended on it.  There is never a dull moment here.



Speaking of kitties, the twins especially love climbing onto the couch and terrorizing our cat who sits there pretty much all the time.  You can see that she looks thrilled by this child invasion.



Around 6 we were eating a tasty dinner at CFA.  Earlier this week we found out that Violet is allergic to eggs as well as peanuts, so she gets the grilled nuggets, which she gobbled up.  We are certainly learning a lot with these two!



Since John was working last night, I got the kiddos down by around 7:10.  I was ready for a quiet house.  I took that moment to look at these sweet school pictures of kindergarten Lily.  I might have teared up again.



I guess the theme of this day is tears and kitties, because here's what was going down around 8.  I was sitting on the couch while this cat hovered reminding me that I had not fed them yet.  They seem to like to eat everyday, just like kids.  So high maintenance.


I worked up the energy to get back to the closet project around 9, because it was not going to sort itself.  It's a good thing I'm doing this (present tense, because its not done yet), because I realize important details of my wardrobe like the fact that I have five long sleeved black shirts that are not very different from one another.  These are the sorts of things that happen when the clothes are not locatable.  Shame on me.  I'm trying to fix it.



Earlier in the evening, I got a text from John that said something to the effect of "Chocolate Sack in front of a fire?"  There is only one possible answer to this question.  Yes - Absolutely Yes.  So, when he got home, we enjoyed this tasty treat and then totally fell asleep on the couch until about 1:15 a.m., because it was so cozy and we were so tired.


And that's what life is like these days - tears, cats, closet projects and needing more sleep.

1 comments:

Ashley said...

I am a HUGE fan of Kate Morton! And Chocolate Sacks...why has it NEVER occurred to me to order them to go? That sounds absolutely delightful, Carol.