Sunday, January 18, 2015

SILVER LINING SUNDAY

I feel like this week has pillaged me and left me for dead.  Chewed me up and spit me out.  Robbed me blind and laughed while doing it.  It's been a rough week.  It was capped off by a trip to the ER with our dear Violet today.  There was a lot of coughing coming from the twins' room, and while she was in moderately good spirits -

Untitled

her breathing was not great.  After a couple of breathing treatments at our house and trying and failing to suck her snot out with one of the new-fangled snot suckers that uses the "power of your own suction," (the truth is that I got light-headed and John got sickened by the whole concept pretty quickly into the endeavor) her breathing was still too quick and a bit labored.

So we rushed to our favorite Mexican restaurant for a super quick family lunch before Violet and I went to the ER.  Because I knew that we would be there a while, and it would be better if we were both well fed before we went.  You have probably already realized this, but John and I are awesome parents.  Like, award-winning.

Untitled

Violet and I rolled into the ER around 12:15 and were ushered into triage and then into a room.  We had all the usual treatments and were there for over 3 hours.  Unfortunately, this is not our first rodeo in the ACH ER.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

The staff did affirm that we were right to come and commented on how laid back I was.  And how prepared.  I came with an audiobook and drinks and snacks for us both.  Like I said, definitely not our first trip.  Violet was delighted to walk out a free girl.

Untitled

In the meantime, John had our other children and time to kill.  Some friends had borrowed something from us that morning and invited us out to their property for the afternoon, and John took them up on that offer.  They helped to move their fireplace indoors.  Please notice how helpful Bella is.  (insert laugh/crying emoji here.)

Untitled

It was such a beautiful day.

Untitled

After our hospital visit, even Violet and I got to go see the house they are building, which was really fun, so our afternoon ended on a high note.  We went home in high spirits, ready to have dinner, give the kids a bath and have an early bedtime for them.  Of course it was not quite that simple.  During bath time, we had a Code Brown and needed to make an emergency evacuation of the tub.  So gross.  We moved all the kiddos to the shower, which both twins were crying about.  There were about 20 really chaotic, stinky, screamy minutes.

All in all, this is not the Sunday we had planned.  It happened to us.  That's how it goes sometimes.  Or almost all of the time this week.  The clothes I had laid out for church did not get worn.  We didn't get to hear the sermon on racial reconciliation that I'm told was excellent.

BUT - we had a good day.  The ER is not where I would want to have been, but it was relatively peaceful, especially once Violet fell asleep, and I got to just cuddle her.  Lily and Bella had an awesome day and told John how much they enjoyed spending time with their really good dad.  (cue tears from me when I heard overheard it)  And then Bella chimed in with, "And we got to see our really good mom, too!"  (more tears)

We also managed to get through this day with our sense of humor in tact, which is a saving grace straight from the Lord.  When you can laugh in the midst of chaos, you know things will be all right.  I'm thankful for the silver linings we had this Sunday, and I'm looking forward to starting a new, hopefully brighter week tomorrow!

1 comments:

Darcy Stingerie said...

Girl you have such an amazing attitude! We will be praying for things to slow down for you, but just know that your positive attitude and bright outlook show the Lord's glory and are a great example for me and others!