Tuesday, February 24, 2015

16 ON 23: A DAY IN THE {SNOW} LIFE

Here's how yesterday went down.

6ish:  John leaves the house to try to figure out the situation on the roads so he can determine when to open CFA.  Snow days and restaurants do not mix well.  They require lots of decisions that you make with limited info and impact a lot of people.  No pressure.

9ish:  I got out of bed around 8ish, because they canceled school the night before quite early.  After I got the twins up, I realized who else was sad about everything being canceled - the cats.  I think they prefer the quiet house.

Untitled

Also - let me just say that the twins like to rearrange all the things.

Untitled

And this is what the girls' room looked like when I got up.  They do occupy themselves quite well.


10:30ish:  I managed to get everyone dressed and out the door.  The roads were perfectly dry, but the radar did not look good.  I was foolishly optimistic about the outing.

Untitled

By 11:00ish, we were at Kroger.  They had no "fun carts" at this Kroger, and so my children improvised.  I quickly realized that we would not be doing much shopping and stuck to the essentials.

Untitled

11:45ish:  We drove to CFA and realized that these friends were inside.  I really wanted to meet their new foster son (he's precious!) and wanted to eat lunch not at my house, so in we went.

Untitled

12:30ish:  We finished lunch about as quickly as we could, but even so, it was bad when we started to leave.

Untitled

12:45ish:  After watching people slide all over the road in front of the restaurant, I made the call not to drive home, and so John and I managed to park the mini-van and load all of the kiddos into the 4-Runner that is well equipped with 4 wheel drive.

Untitled

The roads were disastrous, truly.  Little Rock is REALLY hilly, and no one is great at driving on icy hills.  Everyone was trying to get home, and we had quite the adventure making it to our house.  Lily kept saying, "This is the most terrible day for cars."  and "Please don't slide.  This looks really dangerous."  She kept up this encouraging commentary all the way home.

Untitled

2ish:  I got everyone down for nap and made the girls separate for a bit.  They were doing great with all the togetherness, but I wanted to keep that good thing going.

Untitled

3:15ish:  John had gotten all of our team members home from the restaurant that we closed at 1.  He called to say that the sun had come out and cleared the roads and that we should make a break for the van so it wouldn't have to spend the night away from home.  I texted a neighbor who came up so we could go without the kids.  Here's how John and I feel about snow days at this stage in life.

Untitled

4:00ish:  I made it home with no trouble in the van on the almost perfectly clear roads.  But, it was continuing to snow, and we got the depressing call that life was canceled for Tuesday.  While I was gone, my neighbor had whipped up homemade hot chocolate for the kiddos.  Amazing.  And, she brought her kindergarten boy over, so everyone was having a grand time.

Untitled

5:15ish:  I turned on Disney JR for a little backup and let the kiddos enjoy one Hot Dog Dance after another as I worked on dinner.

Untitled

7:30ish:  After dinner and baths, everyone played on the bed before bedtime.

Untitled

7:45ish:  I tried not to cry over the milk that William pulled off the counter before I could get the lid screwed onto the cup.

Untitled

8:45ish found John and I relaxing in front of the fire.  I drank the leftover hot chocolate from earlier out of my creepy man mug.  Thanks, Patti, it was delicious!  John headed to bed soon after, because he has bronchitis.  That's just how things go sometimes.

Untitled

0 comments: