Monday, May 25, 2015

BEING STILL

If you've been around this blog for any length of time, you may have observed that being still does not rank high in my skill set.  It's sort of funny, because I think I used to do it pretty well.  But, being a mother and being married to a fellow achiever has turned me into someone who is rather constantly in motion/seeking productivity.  However, there are many situations when being still is exactly the best course of action.

In fact, God even commands it.

He says, "Be still and know that I am God."   
Psalm 46:10a

Life certainly never has a dull moment, and as I survey the situations surrounding my life, there are many that I can do nothing tangible for.  I have to watch them unfold.  I can pray, and I do, and I will.  Ultimately, God has to do the work.

I have a friend going through the adoption process right now.  Truth be told, I have many friends in the process right now, which is such a joy to behold.  But, when talking with this particular friend and knowing the situation, we both needed the reminder that God is the one who moves.  Obviously there are things on our end that we have to do to be ready for something, but at the end of the day, we cannot guarantee any final results.  That is in God's court.

Scan 5

I've begun meditating on this verse lately, and I decided to try hand-lettering for the first time.  What a fun thing to do!  I can definitely see this becoming a new hobby.  It's quite relaxing, and I realized that you really get to soak in whatever you are writing.  Plus watercoloring anything is just so fun.

I went back to Exodus 14 to see the context of this particular verse, and it comes from when the Israelites are fleeing Egypt.  Pharaoh's heart has been hardened and softened several times, and at the end of it all, God parts the Red Sea through Moses, and the Israelites walk through on the dry land, away from the chasing enemy.  God said that he was doing it all for his glory.

It's amazing to read and see how much back and forth there was.  And confusion.  And hardship.

But, God had a plan all along, and it was for the good of the Israelites and for the glory of God.  They only had to be still.  Sometimes, I just need to trust God and be still and remember that his plan is much bigger than I can see or imagine.  I'm so thankful.

0 comments: