Sunday, May 17, 2015

EASTER SEALS FASHION EVENT

William and Violet get six hours of therapy each week.  Five of those hours are at Easter Seals of Arkansas here in Little Rock.  They do Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy with a team of therapists.  I have been so thrilled to have a support system there.  They have known us since the twins were 8 months old and have been cheering them on from rolling over to walking and from saying nothing to saying a host of words.  Easter Seals has worked with our rather complicated schedule and been incredibly accommodating and supportive.

Now that I have children with some developmental delays, I truly understand how valuable these services are.  I could do not what I do without the work that they do.  Our therapists love my children even when they throw tantrums, throw sippy cups or flat out refuse to do what is being asked of them.  I'm so thankful.

So, when I got an email asking if we would like to have Lily walk as a model in the Easter Seals Fashion Show, I didn't hesitate to say, "Yes!"  We picked out some clothes at The Toggery on Wednesday afternoon and headed to the Marriott on Friday afternoon.

It was such a great event!  Lily was partnered with a boy that she met that day, and they held hands as they walked the runway.  My heart was beating out of my chest as it neared her turn.  I think I was far more nervous to watch her than I would have been to actually walk myself.  Being a parent is a thrilling ride that certainly never gets dull.  Thankfully, she did great.

IMG_2054
IMG_2059

Many of the models who walked were clients at Easter Seals and seeing the reception they received from the crowd had me in tears much of the night.  One girl, Haven, walked the runway without help, which was a HUGE accomplishment for her.  Her family attends our church, and her father is planning a dirt bike ride across America as a fundraiser for Easter Seals this summer.  For more info on Haven's Road and how to support them - go here!  (William makes a tiny cameo in the video!)

IMG_2051

A couple of our therapists were up on the catwalk as volunteers helping to shepherd little ones in the final walk.  I'm so thankful for their role in our family!

IMG_2060
IMG_2062

John, Bella and I had a great time watching the event, eating hors devours, bidding on silent auction items and riding the escalators.

Untitled
Untitled

All in all, it was a great event, and I'm so glad to have the chance to support an organization that gives our family so much support and encouragement!

0 comments: