Tuesday, June 09, 2015

WICHITA WEEKEND: HIGHS & LOWS

Last week we made a fairly last minute call to head to Wichita.  My siblings were all going to be in town (which really means that Ellen and Luke were heading up since the other siblings both live there), and I didn't want to miss out on the fun.  Plus - it meant getting to celebrate one nephew turning three and meeting my newest nephew for the first time!  I'll get right down to the highs and lows.

Low:  Unfortunately, this trip started out with the worst car ride we have ever had.  It almost deserved its own blog post, but I decided that I could not bear to re-live it enough for that.  We left home at 6 pm.  We arrived in Wichita at about 1:15 am.  We erroneously thought our children would sleep for much of the journey.  Instead, they screamed.  W and V spent about 4 hours taking turns crying.

Low:  The car ride was so bad that at one point I was also crying.  This is when the sun set on our happiness.

Untitled

Low:  With everybody crying, John decided blowing past tolls was an acceptable solution to our need to get to Wichita quickly.  We haven't seen the bills yet, but we will pay them when they come.  #dowhatyouvegottado

High:  The car trip did not last forever, though during longs moments of it, I was convinced it was going to.  We made it to Wichita, and everyone lived to tell the tale.

High:  On Friday, we got to lay low and hang with family we don't get to see nearly often enough.  This included taking a hard hat tour of the church campus my youngest sister works at that is getting ready to open.

Untitled

We also got to enjoy Mom and Wes's amazing backyard which delighted our children throughout the visit.  And I fed my flower picture addiction.

IMG_2155
IMG_2156
IMG_2157
IMG_2158

IMG_2159
IMG_2218

Everybody loves Papa, but Violet especially loves Papa.  She doesn't miss a chance to cuddle him.

Untitled

High:  We got to meet Miles!  He is the precious son of my brother and SIL, and he was an instant hit with my kids.

Untitled
IMG_2186

High:  We got to go to Max's (Miles' big bro) birthday party!

IMG_2164
IMG_2173
IMG_2177
IMG_2188
(I sure do love my mom and sisters.)
IMG_2199
IMG_2203

High:  Sammy the cat.  He is no joke.

Untitled

High:  John stayed back with the twins while they napped during the party, which was an excellent call, because it made them much more fun the rest of the afternoon.

IMG_2207
Untitled

High:  Backyard sprinkler fun.

IMG_2209
IMG_2244

V really loved carrying the bat around, and these pictures totally crack me up.  Surprisingly, W took this like a champ.

IMG_2228
IMG_2229

It was really nice in the shade.

IMG_2240

High:  Having babies around that were not my responsibility.  I love my darling nephews and the fact that I was not in charge of feeding them.

IMG_2161

High:  Sibling/spouse game night.  We laughed a lot.  I heart these people.

Untitled

High:  Seeing Wes's raised garden beds that he mostly finished while we were there.  John got to help with moving some dirt.

Untitled
Untitled

High:  Having all the cousins together.

IMG_2254

Low:  Having to leave everyone behind.  I wish we lived closer for moments like this.

IMG_2245

High:  Our ride home was dramatically better than our ride there.  I'm hopeful that we have figured out some tricks and adjusted our expectations.  Still - this is one of the sweetest sights there is while driving - a sleeping child.

Untitled

Now I'm doing laundry and getting ready for our next adventure!

0 comments: