Sunday, July 05, 2015

CELEBRATING THE 4TH

Since the last year has kept us moving, we decided to keep the 4th low key-ish.  As in, we didn't make any big plans.  However,  John still ended up needing to work for some of it.  And, we still have four young children, so most things feel a bit hectic even without big plans.  We did dinner out on Friday night and took the kiddos fireworks shopping.  We shot off our tiny little fireworks in our driveway to everyone's general delight.

Untitled

(I love fireworks names.  And the fact that treats designed to celebrate America are made in China.)
IMG_2510
IMG_2513
IMG_2526
IMG_2533
IMG_2534


Saturday morning, John took Lily to run her first full 5K.  It's all downhill, so it's a great one to start with, and they give out children's medals.  She ran most of it, only walking a little, and had a great time!


John picked up Bella afterwards, and the three of them went for donuts.  They brought me one, and I had to hide from Violet as I ate it, because she LOVES them and CANNOT have them because they contain eggs.  #allergiessuck

Untitled

We watched some of the start of the Tour de France, which is one of our favorite summer events.  Then, John headed to CFA to help get set up to sell sandwiches at Pops on the River, the downtown LR event with fireworks and fun.  We joined him for dinner and partied in the inflatables and near the fish tank.


IMG_2538
(I could NOT get a better group picture to save my life.)
IMG_2546
IMG_2551
IMG_2552

The cows got up on stage to lead the Chicken Dance, and John and the girls helped throw beach balls to the crowd at the end.  They thought they were big stuff  (the girls, not John).  You can see them in the bottom left corner of the pic.  The twins liked watching the dance and the "COWS!" - it's one of the words they can both say with a lot of authority.

IMG_2556
IMG_2558

We skipped the fireworks, because John was helping tear down the CFA stuff, and I did not feel like child wrangling alone for at least another hour before they started, all after bed time.  Bella was quite distraught when she realized that we wouldn't see the main event and wailed a good part of our drive home.

I am so thankful to live in a country where we have the freedoms that we do.  It's easy to take for granted, but when I read the news and realize all of the fights I've never faced, I'm thankful.  America is not perfect, but it is a great place to live.  I also love the cheesiness that everyone really does embrace.  The 4th of July never takes itself too seriously, and I love it for that.  I also love dressing for an occasion.


I don't want to pretend like our weekend was all fun and games, because there are simply a lot of moving parts right now that we are responsible for.  I'm working to be grateful for where we are, but the fact is, I do miss seeing big fireworks shows and having laid back time.  I know we could do it, but the amount of work is really great with very small children - especially with our family weighted the way it is.  I know life will not always feel quite like this, and I think it is okay to look forward to some of those things while trying to really take in and enjoy what we do have right now.  Life is so very rich.  Hope that your 4th was safe and happy!

0 comments: