Wednesday, September 16, 2015

CAMP CREATE RECAP

Last week at this time I was making my way to Newton, Kansas to participate in Camp Create.  With bright eyes and beating heart, I made my way into the storied Craft House that I had literally dreamed of going inside of.  It lived up to every bit of the hype.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
IMG_2913
IMG_2910
Untitled
IMG_2914
Untitled
Untitled

It is charming and picturesque and looks a bit as if all the best parts of Pinterest threw up all over it.  I can give it no higher praise.  I made my way into this little corner of happiness where the turquoise bed chose me and the sunflower screamed my name.  We shook hands and made a week of it.

Untitled

I brought cookies to help make friends, which seemed to work beautifully.

Untitled

When I went downstairs and was handed a margarita, I knew without a doubt that I had come to the right place.  It does feel a little crazy to head into 4 days with 16 strangers hoping for the best.  Having read Meg's blog for years, I could guess a bit about what she would be like (she's as great as I thought she might be!), but almost everyone else was a mystery.

Fortunately, that mystery was solved pretty quickly.  The women I got to spend this week with were treasures, each and every one.  It helps to all have the commonality of crafts and Jesus.  I think under the banner of those things, it is pretty easy to get along.  We were hosted by these lovely women who did everything in their power to make sure we had an amazing time.  I felt so very cared for and pampered at every turn.

Untitled

Stephanie Ackerman led us in mixed media art journaling.  Because I needed another hobby.

IMG_2915
Untitled

Jenni Horne taught us her whimsical painting technique.

IMG_2955
IMG_2956

Kimberlee kept the food and snacks coming at an alarming rate.  She is truly gifted at hospitality and cooking.  Everything was delish.

Untitled
(not a joke.)
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
(It should also be noted that I did not realize there were apples on this table until the last day when someone pointed them out to me.  Apparently, I have nutritional blindness, because I was totally zeroed in on the candy corn/peanuts and Peanut Butter M'm's which I happily mixed all week.)

Meg led us in wooden rainbow hearts.  Because of course she did.  This craft was inspired by HEart by Cc where you can purchase your own.  The work table was such a beautiful place that night.

Untitled
Untitled
IMG_2952

We got to be reminded of how much God loves us by the amazing Honey (Stephanie Holden).  Her southern accent had me feeling right at home, and her encouraging words were rich and needed.  She also had us write letters to our 16 year old selves, and many of us shared them with the group.  I was honored and amazed at the stories I heard, and I cried buckets of tears each night when letter-reading time arrived.  It was a group of brave, warrior women that I was privileged to craft with all week.

Untitled
Untitled

Other Camp Create fun included lunch at the most charming little grocery store in small town Kansas.

IMG_2919
Untitled

We went on a thrifting mission, where we all scored big.

IMG_2922
IMG_2927
IMG_2928
IMG_2951
IMG_2949
Untitled

I got a pair of solid concrete lions which were a bit of an adventure to get home.  They are now resting peacefully on my front porch and will make a blog debut when they have been styled for fall.  Leaf garlands perhaps?  We'll see.  The kids have already taken to riding them.

The week held plenty of downtime for naps, walks, massages and runs to Sonic.  I was so pleased to see Cheddar Bites on the menu, since we don't have them in Arkansas.

Untitled
Untitled

All in all, Whatever Camp Create was everything I had hoped it would be.  It was a privilege and delight.  Thank you so much, Meg, for following this dream that God put in your heart.

Untitled

0 comments: