Friday, September 04, 2015

LATELY: WHAT'S UP

As I looked through the pictures on my phone, I realized I've taken shockingly few photos in the last two weeks, which is weird for me.  Something tells me that with fall upon us and events piling up I will remedy that in the next few weeks.  For now, you can settle in for a blog post of random, because that's what this is.

-  Two weeks ago I spent hours and hours doing Violet's hair into yarn extensions.  I have really loved the way it has worn, and even though parts of it aren't looking great, it is holding up really well on the whole.  With a little fixing up this weekend, I think we can get another week's worth of wear which will make it worth it.  Here's what they looked like the day after we finished.

Untitled

-  Some of the fun of the last two weeks has meant meeting up with friends.

Untitled
(These two love each other so very much.)
Untitled
(At the Wonder Place holding hands.)
Untitled
(At the pool for Ava Jane's birthday party)

I loved seeing these flowers on a walk - isn't God creative?

Untitled

One of the girls' new favorite activities is fake cooking.  Sundry ingredients are pulled from all corners of the kitchen to be assembled into a bowl for a "Fiesta."  Lily then informed me that she wants to be enrolled in a Spanish class and why haven't I done that yet for her.  They are certainly growing up quickly.

Untitled

Speaking of Lily, this morning she totally shocked me by being up, dressed and fed in plenty of time for school.  Most mornings, it feels like I am trying to wake a mini-vampire.  I clutch my garlic and silver cross to walk gently into the room, and then someone (I guess Lily) starts wailing about the light.  "It hurts my eyes!  My eyes are burning!  I need it dark!  I can't get dressed with all this burning light."  After I wave around the garlic and do my "Vampire-be-gone" jig (and offer threats about not getting breakfast and being tardy for school), Lily creeps from the bed and dresses for school, all the while moaning about the light and the poor quality of her slumber.  It's really charming.  Needless to say, we are working on simplifying mornings and setting clearer expectations and wondering how she is 6 going on 16 before 8 a.m.

Untitled

Last Friday night we celebrated Gran Gran's retirement at a big retirement party in her honor.  It was amazing to see all of the people whose lives she has impacted be circled around her.  Violet, my friendliest ever child, ran to see Gran Gran one of the times she was introducing a singer.
#subtletyisourspecialty

Untitled

My children were thrilled when Marte and his wife came for dinner and even more excited when they realized it was his birthday and that cake was involved!

Untitled

Somehow, my meal planning calendar has stalled since January of this year.  "What have we been eating?" you might ask.  I am not certain.  A lot of CFA.  I've also weirdly made a lot of shrimp, because the girls love it, and it is light.  I've been working on cooking again recently, but it really does feel so hard.  I know it isn't, but there are just other things I would rather be doing, even though I rather enjoy putting meals together.  It's a challenge with little people whose taste palettes are fairly limited and/or non-existent.  I have recently been working through some of these freezer meals.

Untitled

Wednesday afternoon we caught a double rainbow which was cause for much celebration in our car.

Untitled

Next week I am heading to Camp Create, which is thrilling.  I received Happy Mail this week in preparation, and my heart did some back-flips.  I'm so excited.

Untitled

Hope your Labor Day weekend is shaping up nicely!  We have some unexpected fun in the works, so I am looking forward to it!

0 comments: