Wednesday, September 23, 2015

THE MISADVENTURES OF LATELY

I've had several misadventures lately, and I certainly capped them off today at 11:15 a.m.  There I was in work out clothes, talking on the phone with John and frantically unloading groceries so that I could rush to the church and get the kids from Mother's Day Out.  I headed back out to the garage and glanced up.  Silhouetted in the doorway was a person.

I jumped and shrieked a bit.  The light was behind the woman, and I didn't immediately recognize her as the babysitter that I had booked for exactly that time.  When I did come to my senses, I realized that I was supposed to have picked up the kiddos and been back to the house and be ready to head to a meeting that started in 15 minutes.

My heart was racing from the shock, and I came up with a new plan on the fly that included a quick change of clothing.  The sweet, apologetic babysitter and myself caravanned to Mother's Day Out where we picked up the children, and then I drove her car to the meeting, where I arrived 30 minutes late and breathless.

Good times.

Earlier this morning, I also had a parent/teacher conference at school.  I had made a bumbling mess of the schedule, so I brought cookies to Lily's teacher to apologize for being so high-maintenance and scatterbrained.  We got a great report on Lily, which was really encouraging!

Untitled
(Some of these cookies are also for friends we are visiting this weekend!)

I also didn't realize until late into last week that it was "Grandparents/Special Friends" week at L's school.  Thankfully, when I did figure it out, Aunt Rachel was able to head up and eat lunch with L!

IMG_3534

Other recent adventures include a Hogs watch party featuring a new food truck in town.  Check out Excaliburger when you get a chance!  We met up with friends and had a great time.  Except for the loss.

Untitled
Untitled

Last week I had the distinct pleasure and honor of tagging along when my friend's husband came home from a four month deployment.  I took pictures of the whole event, which was such a privilege.  I am pretty sure that I could go to homecomings once a week just to bask in all the pleasant emotions.  I was in tears much of the time seeing people reunite with those they love.

IMG_2966

Twice this weekend, I went to Bella Rustina, a giant flea market/antique/vintage sale held right near our restaurant.  It was so much fun, and I walked away with a few new finds that I can't wait to find homes for.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
(None of this is stuff I bought, though my friend came home with the deer head.  If you ever need a creepy old doll head - I know the place!)

Violet is the most endearing, sweetest, busiest toddler that I have had the privilege of raising.  She is busy.  I accidentally left a box of donuts in the car, which she can't have because of the allergens.  But, she knows and loves what is in that box.  In the short time that I was using the bathroom inside the house, she had gotten all six donuts out and spread them around the car.  Delightful.

Untitled

She also wants to wear floaties continually and tries to dress herself.  Bless it.

Untitled

And, she wants to ride piggy-back style whenever we go anywhere.  Because that is not high maintenance when I'm carrying lots of stuff.  However, it is pretty sweet when she pats my arms and kisses my head.

Untitled

One major highlight of this week was a Grilled Cheese Bar that my friends hosted for our small group.  It was amazeballs.

Untitled
Untitled

While L was out of school on Monday on the day I neglected to do my parent/teacher conference, we did get pumpkins and have been transforming our home for fall fun.  The girls are particularly interested in this whole process and LOVED getting pumpkins.

Untitled

I'm thankful for the adventures and misadventures alike.

0 comments: