Thursday, September 17, 2015

WHILE I WAS AWAY

It takes a lot to step out of my life right now.  The tickets for Camp Create went on sale back on Memorial Day at noon.  I had actually forgotten until I saw it on Instagram about 10 minutes before 12, and I called John to ask if I could try for a ticket.  Without hesitation, he said - "Yes.  You should try to go.  We will make it work."  What a wonderful husband I have.  And make it work, we did - but it took a lot of work from those around me, and I do not take that for granted.

When the cat's away, the mice will play, and my little mice all had a ball while I was at Camp Create last week.  Because Lily attends school, she stayed in Little Rock with John.  They had sweet time together and did all kinds of fun things that are easy to do when there is just one child in the mix.  You know, like visit a water tower up close.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

She made me precious cards to come home to.

Untitled
Untitled

I drove the three youngest children up to Wichita to spend the time with Mom and Wes, which was incredibly gracious of them.  Thankfully, it seems as if everyone had a mostly great time!  They got to play with uncles, aunts and cousins too, so the time was extra fun.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

They did trips to the zoo and park and read books and generally had a great time.  My drive to Wichita was pretty good, all things considered.  My drive home was one of the worst drives I've ever had.  There was a lot of screaming.  Then, the smell of poop started to fill the car, which is pretty normal, since there are two children in diapers in our family.  However, the smell became worse as the miles wore on, which I did think was weird.  When I finally looked back, Violet held up her hands and said, "Poop."  She had been fishing poop out of her diaper and smearing it all over herself and her carseat.  At that point, I was probably about 250 miles from home.

So gross.  I began handing her wipes, and she worked on "cleaning" herself for the next while.  When we stopped, I did do a full wipe down of her and everything she touched and an outfit change, all of which was tricky with a William and a Bella wandering around the car and parking lot near us while I worked.  It was not a highlight.  Then, when I filled up with gas, I managed to douse my feet in gasoline, which I have never done in my life.  Our car was truly a rank place to be.

Thankfully, because I was still basking in my Camp Create glow, I handled this much better than I normally would.  I did not cuss at all, and honestly, I was actually able to see the humor in it all in the moment.  Usually it takes time and distance, but I immediately knew that the sheer horror of the situation was laughable.  Thanks, God and Camp Create.

Re-entry has been a bit of a bear, and I have needed every bit of that Camp Create glow this week.  But, I am so thankful for the time I had away last week.  The re-charge was such a blessing, and the contrast between it and my daily life was pretty astounding.  I'm so thankful to my support team of husband and parents who graciously made it possible for me to experience a retreat from reality.  XOXO

0 comments: