Saturday, April 04, 2015

STUCK AT SATURDAY

Untitled

Yesterday was Good Friday.  We marked the tragedy of our Lord being betrayed, mocked, beaten and crucified.  He was put in a grave.  It was awful, and everyone who had loved him went into mourning.  I imagine there was so much confusion surrounding all of it.  They thought he was going to save them, and then he was gone.

But the sun rose again on Saturday, just as it always does.  Jesus was in the grave, and nothing in the world made any sense at all.  It must have felt like the suffering would go on forever, and they would never ever understand what had happened or why.

There are seasons when it feels like we are stuck at Saturday.  Some of the bad things have happened, or keep happening, and we are confused.  I look around and see so. much. pain.  So much.  To be honest, before my own father passed away, I didn't understand or empathize with others' pain much.  Or care.  I would have thought I did, but truthfully, I just didn't get it.  But now I know what it is to be in pain and not understand why.

The truth is, we can only see small glimpses of the big picture with many things here on Earth.  Right this second, I can think of several people I know who are stuck at Saturday.  We don't know if their story will turn out all right.  We don't know how God will make it right.  We don't know IF God will make it right on this side of heaven.  It is painful, and no pat answers will light the way or lessen the load.

We cannot fast forward Saturday.

It is amazing to me that Jesus told his followers multiple times that he would be killed and then rise from the dead on the third day.  (Matthew 16:21, Mark 9:31)  But, no one really understood what he meant.  I often feel in the same conundrum.  I know that we are promised suffering in this world, but I also know that in the end, God will set all things right.  There will be no more tears.  He has already won the battle, and he promises that he is coming back for us again.

But on Saturday, it feels hard to grasp that fact and understand the glory of the Sunday that is coming.  This Easter, I hope that we can see and feel the truth in what Sunday means for us all.  We don't have to live forever in the pain of Saturday - it only lasts for a time, though usually much longer than we would like.  Sunday is coming.  Jesus is our risen Lord.  Praise be to him.

0 comments: