
We found a fondue dinner spot that had us feasting for hours on deliciousness.
There is something so very comforting about old friends. The longer that life goes on, the more I treasure the friendships that I carry forward. These are people that we went on our very first date with and that we walked so many of our early stages together. I've known Brian and Steph for almost 19 years now. 😳 Steph and I logged many college hours either planning over-the-top themed dates or playing Boggle endlessly in our room. (we were and are so cool) Brian and John worked together for weeks at a time on construction sites in Chicago while John crashed with Brian's family. And once we were all married, we traveled regularly together, including a six week stint in Costa Rica where they were doing long-term mission work, and John and I were doing Spanish language school and our weekends consisted of traversing the rain forest or binge watching 24. Our journey has been shared in unusual ways as we have accidentally bought the same couches in two different states, the same cars (several times and usually in the same color) without consulting one another, and we both ended up with 3 girls and 1 boy. But the things we share are much deeper and more solid.
As life continues to go on, I am beginning to better understand how the layers of living pile on top of themselves. Some layers smooth themselves out, but others remain permanently wrinkled, changing the way everything falls. I don't think I realized what the compounding effect of years and marriage and children and life would look like, or how difficult it would actually be. God has graciously gifted us with friendships that help carry the weight and share the joy and the pain.
All of that to say, time with these friends is a precious gift that I never take for granted.
(I also taught Steph how to use Insta-stories and introduced her to filters. You're welcome. Though, to be fair, the college versions of ourselves could have totally constructed real beautiful flower crowns. We once dressed as identical Tooth Fairies complete with Tooth shirts, tutus, Tooth wands - apples painted white, glittered and affixed to dowel rods and Floss tiaras made by melting down floss sticks to different heights and hot-glueing them all together. You can see how we drew Brian and John in.)
We finished out our kid friendly activities with a trip to the Dallas World Aquarium. My highlights were the sitting sloth and the manatee feasting on his lettuce lunch. I think Lily's highlight was discovering that one of her chicken tenders at lunch was shaped like a bunny - it's the little things.


(She wasn't wrong.)

(It is never said that the twins lack personality.)


Thanks, Brian, Steph and crew for a wonderful few days - we loved it all and mostly we love you!


















0 comments:
Post a Comment