Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Grandma Haun's Meatloaf: If it is from a Grandma, It Will Be Good

      This past weekend a friend in Wichita who was at my mother's wedding slipped me this recipe.  She said it was a must try, and she was right.  John loves meatloaf.  I didn't grow up eating it, and somehow, in my head, it had a bad wrap.  Not sure why.  Anyway, this meatloaf is tasty and moist - and the recipe is simple.

IMG_8221

Here goes - Grandma Haun's Meatloaf.  (Thanks, Amanda!)  You need -

IMG_8179

1 lb of Ground Beef
1 lb of Ground Sausage
1 green pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 sleeve of Saltine Crackers, crushed
2 eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 cup of milk
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 Can tomato sauce (not pictured, sorry)

The great thing about this recipe is that I feel like it is a good base - you could add things to your liking.  I added some minced garlic and dried basil, because I love both of those things.  I started by chopping the peppers and onions in my ever faithful food processor.  I ♥ my food processor.

IMG_8180IMG_8181

Crush your crackers, and add your eggs and milk as well.  In retrospect, I would have used my food processor for the crackers as well, though it turned out great crushing them the way that I did.  It just took longer.

IMG_8182

Throw in that meat and mix it all up.

IMG_8183

I think you could bake this a lot of different ways.  I put half of it into this greased bread pan.

IMG_8188

Pour your tomato sauce over your loaf of raw meat.

IMG_8190

Cover and bake at 350° for 1.5 hours.

IMG_8191

So yummy.

IMG_8212

This afternoon while cooking with the girls was really entertaining.  I think it will become its own blog post.  Be on the look out.

I served Grandma Haun's Meatloaf with this broccoli recipe and these "Easy-Speedy" Corn Muffins, and John ate it all up.  So did I.  We washed it all down with fresh blueberry pie.  Good eats at the Spenst casa.

IMG_8220

Linking up to What We Ate Wednesday at Buggie and Jellybean!

2 comments:

Lorna said...

I can't figure out how to make meatloaf without the pool of grease in the bottom. Have you discovered the secret?? If so, do tell, because this looks delicious, but I'm afraid to try it!!!!

Amy H. said...

Ok, first I am not a huge fan of meatloaf, but with that said my Hubs is. And this version looks very tasty, SOO maybe he will be getting meatloaf now!! HAHA.

Thanks for linking up!
xo
Amy