Friday, August 12, 2011

Sunshine, Rainbows and Unicorns

      Today I have needed an attitude adjustment.  Honestly, I was just worn out from parenting two little friends.  Worn out from getting up several times a night to plug a teething baby with her paci.  Again.  Worn out from the constant stream of whining and fit-throwing.  Worn out that there is no end in sight.  That sounds absolutely terrible, because I have everything I could ever want.  Everything.  And still I find myself discontent at times.

IMG_9376
IMG_9374
IMG_9378

My little friends are ever-present, "helping" me through all my daily tasks.

IMG_9340
IMG_9350
(You may notice Bella is clutching the Orajel.  Her very own nectar of life.)

These little jokers really do make my life better, and ultimately, it is not about that anyway.  Ultimately, I am here to glorify God and to find my joy in Him.  Why is this much harder than I want it to be?  Why have I found myself so irritated with the ins and outs of being a mom this week?  I know a lot of the answers, and I know what it boils down to.  I even wrote a blog post about perspective this very week.

IMG_9395
IMG_9396
IMG_9382
IMG_9380

      I want to be a joyful, intentional mother and wife (and person, for that matter), which will not happen all by itself.  It requires time and effort and seeking the Lord.  That is where my joy will be found, because those little faces sure are sweet, but they are super high-maintenance.  Though there have been some funny moments this week, like when Lily learned to say, "I'm a foxy lady.  Wooooo-hooooo!"  Or proclaimed to us that she was "looking for a wolf" . . . in her head.
      Life does not always feel like sunshine, rainbows and unicorns.  Some days it is really annoying, and every day, I have a choice in how I respond.  God willing, and with His strength, I hope I learn to respond better to weeks like this.

4 comments:

Heather @ we.are.the.holdens said...

Love your perspective and your littles are so cute.:)

Momma Sharon said...

Oh Carol all mothers can relate to those days and those times that it feels so overwhelming. I remember walking around the corner of the room the kids were in saying to God that if I'm going to get through this day You are going to have to carry me!! And He did.

Linds said...

we have lots of days like this. I think it's normal. And I am realizing more and more that I need JESUS more than anything to make me a great mom. Not books, not blogs, not tons of Dr. Pepper and candy (although it helps with my mental state sometimes-ha!). While this is the most DEMANDING phase of parenting, it's also the most missed (atleast that's what older, wiser moms have told me). I cling to that truth on the days i want to assume the fetal position in the corner of the living room :)

Kristin Murdock said...

Amen sister friend.

And the thought of Lily saying "I'm looking for a wolf!" along with how she is foxy is HILARIOUS. Look at the creativity you have taught your children!