Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Lily turns Two

Our precious Lily turned two at the beginning of January. And after the holidays, it was nice/stressful to have something to be planning for. I chose a theme based on a cake that I saw on One Charming Party. That cake stuck in my head, and since I knew Lily LOVES colors/crayons, away I went planning the big day. First I downloaded a party plan from the website that I mentioned above for only $6! What a deal! It came with invitations that I customized.

Lily Invite

Then I made the cake that I fell in love with. All eight layers of it. It really didn't take as long as you might imagine, because each layer cooked for about 7 minutes, and I have two pans. It is a white cake mix dyed with food coloring to get the colors I wanted. Here it is pre-frosting.

Cake Pre-Frosting

I made the Wilton recipe for a yummy buttercream frosting, and here is the result.

IMG_5360

IMG_5362

We decorated and prepared for our party guests to arrive.

Balloons


I made Lily's birthday shirt using felt that I appliqued onto the shirt, and I made a color-wheel tutu to match the theme. It did make my day when she walked into the room, saw the tutu and said, "Pretty. Pretty colors." Then I had the idea to make a Crayola tiara. It ended up tipped over for most of the party, but it was still so cute. (in my, maybe not so unbiased, opinion)
Here she is waiting for people to come while watching "Tales."

Birthday girl waiting for the party to start by watching "Tales."

After people arrived, we enjoyed breakfast and then headed downstairs for coloring activities. I knew we needed to keep them simple with lots o kiddos under the age of 4. I cut out the initial of each child attending from sandpaper, and then had them color them. We then baked them in the oven, which melts all the crayon together nicely. Funny thing is, we forgot to give them to the kids. Sorry kids. (I bet the parents aren't that sorry to not have another random thing around the house.)

We had lots of coloring activities set up in the basement.

The little friends left birthday "messages" for Lily.

Birthday messages from Lily's friends.

Then it was time to eat the cake with the surprise - I must admit, I giggled with glee as I cut it open when people started to realize what was inside. Yes, I giggled a lot, and my husband really enjoyed watching all of this play out.

IMG_5394

IMG_5397

This year, birthday girl enjoyed the cake, though it seemed to put her into a cake daze.

IMG_5410

While enjoying cake, I hosted a little Crayola trivia contest with fun facts off of their website. (The little label cards were part of the downloadable party pack, as was the idea to put it over a crayon.) My favorite fact: after 37 years of working as Crayola's most senior crayon maker and molding a record 1.4 billion crayons, he revealed a secret. He was color blind! Amazing.

It was Crayola/Rainbow themed, with trivia for the adults.

I forgot to get a picture of the party favors, which were large crayons in the shape of cute animal faces that I found from this Etsy Shop. Fun shop. I sent out Thank You notes that came with the downloadable party pack that I printed and cut, like the invitations. Here I included a pic of the envelopes and color wheel stickers. I have fun going overboard on the details.

Lily 2 TYs

All in all, we had a great day, and Lily seemed to really enjoy all the coloring and "friends." She also now regularly asks to see "Pictures. Birthday Cake. Pictures. Birthday Cake." I usually capitulate, because, well, I like the pictures of the birthday cake too. Really, I did it all, because I like colors.

0 comments: