Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Chocolate Cookies and Cream Cheese Cake

      I made a birthday cake for John to take to community group last night.  Since poking around on Pinterest, I have seen Oreos baked into a lot of things, and more specifically, I saw them baked into these cupcakes on Bakerella.  I thought, surely, I can bake them into a cake and the cake will only be made better.  And it was actually that easy.  Success!

IMG_9365

I didn't have much time and wanted to keep it simple, so this is what I used.

IMG_9330

I made the cake according to the directions.

IMG_9335

I greased and floured two 8 inch pans, and then lined them both with Oreos.

IMG_9331
IMG_9334

Then I poured the batter right over top of the Oreos.

IMG_9337
IMG_9338
IMG_9339

I baked the cake according to the instructions, and it actually came out perfectly!

IMG_9341

I stacked the two rounds putting plain cream cheese icing in the middle.

IMG_9355

I crushed the left over Oreos and mixed them into the frosting, so I ended up using the entire package of Oreos and two whole things of frosting.  If I make this again, I will use a little less frosting, but I did like the look of it.

IMG_9358
IMG_9359
IMG_9361


With the decorating, I wanted to keep things simple.  I had seen some cameos done into Oreos on Pinterest and thought I could just as easily carve some letters out of the cream with a butter knife.  I removed half of the cookie and used a butter knife to make letters.  Very easy.  I mean it.

IMG_9354
IMG_9356

So, there you have it.  Lots of fun and tasty goodness.

IMG_9371

5 comments:

Kylala said...

you amaze me!

Stefanie said...

yummmm ... oreos are my favorite. You may need to coach Josh over the phone through making this for my birthday this year :)

Morgan Smith said...

so cool! i love when you share all that creativity you've got going on in your brain!!

Jenny said...

I'm making this cake today for my son's 19th birthday. Of all the cakes I pinned, this is the one he chose - we all love Oreo's at our house & this is so easy! :o)

Carol said...

@JennyI hope it turns out well - Happy Birthday to your son!