Sunday, August 21, 2011

Gulf Shores: Day One

      Sometime last week, we made a sort of crazy decision.  We decided to take a trip, right after John had taken a trip to Atlanta.  He thought it would be easier to be gone all in one fell swoop, and I had been itching to go on a beach trip.  We had to hope that Gulf Shores was ready for all the fun that the Spenst family brings.
      We left one hour after John flew in on Thursday night and drove to Hattiesburg to stay the night.  This allowed us to break up our trip so that little friends could sleep while we drove.  We woke up happy and breakfasted in Hattiesburg before driving the rest of the way.

IMG_9453
IMG_4442
IMG_4444

We stopped for lunch at Lambert's, home of the "Throwed Roll."  The food there is sized super generously.  We also let Lily take some pictures, and she captured this gem.

IMG_4451
Picnik collage

We arrived and settled into our condo at the Beach Club, near Ft. Morgan.  It was on the ground level and walked out to a pool, with the beach just beyond that.  Yes, I think I could stay there for a very long time.  We spent some time walking around, checking things out and then chillaxed in the pool for the afternoon.

Picnik collage
IMG_9460
IMG_9461
IMG_9462
IMG_9469
IMG_9470

For dinner, we headed to Tacky Jack's, where we got to take in the sunset along with dinner.  Divine.

IMG_9497
Picnik collage
IMG_9478
IMG_9485
IMG_9486
Picnik collage

Bella really enjoyed holding up her food, and chewing on her shoe, apparently.  Since she doesn't walk on them yet, I took a picture instead of stopping her.  After dinner, we made our way down to the dock and John and Lily fed the fish.

Picnik collage
IMG_9490
IMG_9494

All in all, a great day.  Lily is really coming alive in her imagination and humor.  She keeps saying, "Daddy at work" just to rile him up, since he is clearly not there.  He started saying, "Lily's at work."  When asked where she works, Lily informed us that she works on the train tracks.  I do not know where she comes up with this stuff, but I am glad to be getting insight into what she must think about.  This trip definitely has felt more vacationy than our amazing trip to Canada felt, which is nice.  The girls have been sweet and mostly really fun.  More to come!

4 comments:

Anne S said...

Will be watching intently to these vacation posts as we are considering this location for the next Sharp Family Vacation!

Ellen said...

I'm really trying to decide what you were eating at Lamberts....

Joeylee said...

great pictures, your family is so cute

Kristin Murdock said...

Love these posts, Carol, so happy you guys had an awesome time vacationing together! I also think Lily and Bella could pass for a synchronized swimming team in those pink outfits.