Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Little Blog about Blogging

      I have been blogging consistently for several months now and have found it to be a really great outlet for me.  I enjoy sharing projects and recipes, as well as keeping up with and documenting our little world with two little friends.  Mostly, it has been really fun, and I have found that it fits who I am very well.  There are a couple of things that concern me about it, and I just want to be upfront about the kinds of things that I think and wrestle with.
      I read this post by my dear friend Stefanie about selfish ambition, and it has haunted me since then.  (Thanks for the encouragement, Stef!)  It spoke to me on several levels, because I relate to the struggle of making anything all about me and my own glory, instead of about the Lord.  I wish that I could have pure motives!  I wish that the weed of selfish ambition were not always creeping into my heart and mind.  I wish that I didn't want anyone that reads this blog to think I am great and wonderful (which I am not.).  If I am not careful, blogging can feed this inside of me.  The positive feedback and good reception can go to my head, and I can think that I am much cooler than I am.  Basically, I can think a lot more about myself than I ever should.  I want to glorify the Lord with my time and energy, and I hope that my writings and experiences can be an encouragement to those who read them - not a pat on my back.
      I have several things brewing in my head about ways to leverage the influence that we have in our lives to do good things.  I am not ready to share them, because I am not sure which direction they will head or what will come of them.  I am still praying and thinking about what I believe God wants for me to do with the time that I am given, and I have to be honest, it is hard to figure that out.  Stef quoted 1 Thessalonians 4:11 - "Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you."  This is the verse that was taught on in a sermon that helped John and I decide to go into Chick-fil-A.  Sometimes I definitely get ahead of myself and try to do more than I should, and I never want to steal time from my husband and children in ways that would not be healthy for our family.  It is hard to know what to do with the gifts that He gives us.
      So, that may have been way more information or insight than you wanted, but it is where I am at.  I really do love blogging and the little world that it is becoming for me.  Thanks for reading - I really do appreciate it!

2 comments:

Kristin Murdock said...

You are super awesome and cool!

Katie said...

Loved this post! I totally get what you are saying & feel the same way! Thanks for sharing your friends post - that was so great to read!