Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Project: Fabric Letters and Numbers

      Well, I started this project in February and finished it this morning.  Somehow, I always got distracted by something else and these little fabric letters sat in my sewing table, untouched for months.  I like completion, and it feels good to finally have a finished product.  Just in time for a long car trip we are taking later on this week.  More on that to come . . .

IMG_9430

Way back when, in February, I bought a stack of coordinating fat quarters with this in mind.  I don't think I am great at coordinating fabrics, and it was nice to have some matching ones all put together for me courtesy of Hancocks.  I saw some letters like these on Etsy, but when I went back to think of purchasing them, I couldn't find any that I just really loved for a price that seemed acceptable.  So I made my own.

I cut out letters.  It was so long ago that I do not remember what font it is or what size, but I like the way it turned out - though it was a bit annoying to sew around all of those serifs.

IMG_5992
IMG_5993

I used brown felt to give them a little weight.  I put a letter down to see how thick of a column I should cut.

IMG_5994

Then, I wrapped those columns of felt in the fabric so I could trace letters onto the material and only have to cut them out once.

IMG_5995

I cut the columns of fabric wrapped felt into squares that would fit the letters and traced the letters using a pen, since it was the back-side of the fabric.

IMG_5996
IMG_5997
IMG_5998

I cut out each letter and then moved the fabric around so that it was faced the right way.

IMG_5999
IMG_6000

Then, I just sewed around the letters so they would all stay together.  It was not hard at all, but it did take a while.  I had to make a few extra "L"s so that I could spell Lily and Bella at the same time.

IMG_9433
IMG_9435

I decided that since we have enough randomness floating around our house, these letters needed a bag to go in.  Plus, I had a little of the coordinating fabric leftover.  So, I folded over the tops and sewed them into casing.

IMG_9427

Then, I sewed down the sides.

IMG_9426

I threaded some matching ribbon I had on hand through the casing, and the bag came together!

IMG_9436
IMG_9439

We are looking forward to some letter learning at our house!

3 comments:

kristina said...

that is a great idea! and it turned otu so well!

Lorna said...

SO cute!!

Kristin Murdock said...

You are a sewing maniac! i was going to say you are a sewing machine, but then I realized a sewing machine is a real thing...