Thursday, August 04, 2011

Thrifting Fun

      This week I have been able to go to a couple of thrift/antique stores.  Some with the girls and some without, which has been great fun.  And, there have been some great scores and some really funny things.  One of the stores is in a rougher part of the Rock, and it had a few diamonds in the rough, along with a whole lot of rough.  My friend, Kristin went with me.  Why would you ever purchase these from a store second hand?

Kristin

These signs made me laugh a lot as well.

cobweb
fatty

In case you can't read it, that second one says, "Thou hadst better watch thy weight."  Thank you, crazy looking woman with a poison apple.  I did come away with some major scores, which I am currently transforming to live in my home.  Here's a sneak peak at the "Befores."  Yes, that is a basket in the shape of Arkansas.  I am so excited that it now lives with me.

IMG_9312
IMG_9305


I went to a different store that is a little more upscale, as well as expensive.  But, it has some really great stuff as well as great ideas.


Love that painting!


Moss Balls.  While I have yet to purchase any, I think it is only a matter of time.  When I go shopping at a thrift store, I am generally looking for things that fall into a couple of categories.
"Things that Could Be Painted and then Cool."
"Mini Chairs."
"Stuff with a Bird Theme."
"Stuff with a Woodsy Theme."
"Anything that is Smoke Blue and Cool."
I find that if I stick to those general categories, I know it will most likely work in my home.  Moss balls totally fall into the "Woodsy Theme" category, so I am going to keep my eye on them.  But, I am not willing to pay $96 for one, like that last big one that I showed a picture of.  I also just look for things that will work for a very specific project or place, and I did find some darling antique hankies that will soon make their way into the playroom.  More on that project to come!

3 comments:

Kristin Murdock said...

Oh how I love the thrift store finds! I am really disappointed, however, that you didn't want to buy that nightgown/robe set that I'm pretty sure Elton John wore on his honeymoon.

Go Near Ministry said...

So fun to see your blog. I love thrift stores. We have raised our family on them. A great way to outfit a home. Great finds on clothing. Glad you are highlighting them.

Linds said...

who pays $96 for a ball that has fake moss on it? LOL. I'm always incredibly impressed with your eye for decorating. I unfortunately am blind when it comes to this. ha!