Monday, May 16, 2011

The Miracle Blanket - How I Get My Babies to Sleep at Night

 So, I thought I was going to post pictures of my craft room today.  Then, I got sick and did next to nothing yesterday, so it still needs to be fluffed a bit before I post it.  Rest assured - it is worth the wait.  I love the way it has turned out.  Anyway, so I took pictures a while back of how I swaddle Bella and never ended up posting them.  Then, this morning as I was laying in bed at 8:30 still trying to recover from my cold, I received this email.
"How thankful am I that you told me about the baby straight jacket?? It's 
wonderful. Blog worthy. People. Need. To. Know. ;)
Hope y'all are well!
Love 
Anna"
     I am so glad that it is useful to others. This is a tip-off that we got from our friends Jason and Sarah  Pollack who had their first daughter, Hiba, while they were living in Bethlehem. We went and visited 
when Hiba was 6 weeks old, and Hiba was already sleeping through the night. And they gave us one as a gift before Lily arrived.
      
      So, here it is - The Miracle Blanket. I love that the tagline for it is, "The Gift of Sleep." And, for us 
it really has been. I will say this, I do believe our girls are genetically predisposed to sleeping well. Both John and I are sort of champion sleepers. But, both of our girls started sleeping long periods through the night (7 hours or more) by three weeks. Which I know is sort of freakish and wonderful, and I attribute a large part of it to the Miracle Blanket.

IMG_6574

Here is how it works.  I usually swaddle Bella on the changing table and start with a squirmy girl.

IMG_6589

Remove bow.  (Okay, a lot of people will not need to do this.)  Tuck little feet into the pocket at the 
bottom of the swaddle.

IMG_6590

There are flaps on the inside.  Tuck one flap over the arm and behind the back.  Like so.

IMG_6591
IMG_6592

Repeat on the other side so that both arms are good and swaddled. This is why I call it a baby straight jacket.

IMG_6593
IMG_6594

Then, wrap the shorter of the flaps leftover around baby and tuck it in.

IMG_6595

Lastly, wrap the longer, final flap all the way around baby.

IMG_6596


      Both of my girls have loved sleeping in this. I put them in a sleep positioner in the bed so they can't roll around at all. I have continued to swaddle them long after it suggests, simply because it works for us. And, it will not work for all kids, but I think it is worth a shot. One downside is that you eventually 
have to put them to sleep without the swaddle, once they can really break free from it. We are approaching that day with Bella, and I am not looking forward to it. With Lily it only took one night of her crying it out before she got used to going to sleep without it. So, for us, it was definitely worth all of the sleep on the front end to have one slightly harder night about 8 months in. I even use it for nap times, and it really does almost instantly put Bella to sleep. And then she wakes up smiley - but I think that is just her sweet nature. 
IMG_6569
IMG_6575

I know there are lots of things that go into a child sleeping, and I do not by any means claim to be an 
expert.  This is what has worked for us, and thanks to the note from Anna, I decided to share it with 
you all today!

3 comments:

Stefanie said...

Ah, yes. I feel forever indebted to you & the Pollacks for introducing us to the miracle blanket. Worked like a charm from 6wks-6 mos. (probably would have worked great earlier, but I was kind of intimidated by it at first!).

Linds said...

I have heard of hte miracle blanket but we always just used the Kiddopatamus swaddle blankets. They worked well also.

Lorna said...

Where do I get one?! :)