Thursday, July 07, 2011

Homemade Cookies and Cream Ice Cream: So Cold and Tasty

      It is that time of year.  The time of year where I feel that my face is melting off each time I step out from the comfort of my air-conditioned home (thank you, Lord.).  The time of year when standing outside for a few moments produces sweat.  How is that possible?  It is hot and humid here in the Rock, and when it is that time of year, you must arm yourself with the coldest and tastiest treats available.  Homemade Ice Cream falls in that category for me.  It has a creamy quality that captures my taste buds and my ♥.  I grew up on the stuff, every summer, and now that I have my own little friends, I look forward to introducing them to the yumminess.

IMG_8945

This is a recipe that my mom and I came up with last summer during their visit that is a modification of the one I grew up on.  So good.  Here's what you need:

Ice Cream Maker
Ice
Rock Salt
4 Eggs (I used Eggs from a carton to make sure there wouldn't be any food safety issues)
1 Cup of Sugar
1 Can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 Cups Half and Half
2 TBSP Vanilla
Lots of milk (to finish filling the 5 Qt container)
20 Oreos (to make it Cookies and Cream)

IMG_8863
IMG_8864

Start with your eggs.

IMG_8873

Add your sugar and then the sweetened condensed milk, then the vanilla.  I had a very excited, super sanitary helper.  She was really quite sweet during this process, and I am glad she really wants to learn.

IMG_8874
IMG_8877

Add your Half and Half.  This time, I didn't have any, so I used heavy whipping cream mixed with milk to make up two cups worth.

Picnik collage

Then, whisk it all together, making sure the sugar dissolves.

IMG_8879
IMG_8882

Pour it into your ice cream maker container.  Mine makes 5 quarts, which is a ton of ice cream.  I should be giving it away, because I definitely do not need that much ice cream.

IMG_8885

At this point, I chose to add the Oreos.  This recipe is flexible and could have a lot of things added in - fruit, cookie dough and cake all come to mind.  I was wired to make desserts.  The three Oreos you see floating are the ones that Lily "crumbled."  After you add your add-in of choice (or not, vanilla is good too), then fill your container to the fill line with milk.  I have used skim milk and whole milk, and for us, the whole milk was too creamtastic for us, so I have used skim milk since then.

IMG_8887
IMG_8888

Put it into your ice cream maker, and surround with ice layered with rock salt.  Make sure you read the directions on your ice cream maker to see what it tells you to do.  Turn it on, and let it churn away.

IMG_8889
Picnik collage

After it freezes enough to stop churning, you can turn off the maker.  A couple of freezing hours later, you will be rewarded.

IMG_8945

Nothing says summer like Home Made Ice Cream!  ♥

2 comments:

Kristin Murdock said...

"I was wired to make desserts" - YES you were! Such talent! :) I think I have that ice cream maker back home.. it does make an unbelievable amount of ice cream! Looks delicious!

Elizabeth said...

I haven't made homemade ice cream since I was a little girl at my grandma's house. I have to do it with my kids this summer!