Monday, July 18, 2011

Weekend: Girls Getaway

      This past weekend, I had the extreme privilege of spending time with dear friends, away from our little friends.  Our community group had a girls getaway weekend, which was too short, but quite wonderful.  We kicked it all off with a baby shower for Jenn, who is due in two weeks and does not know what she is having.  Cantina Laredo treated us right, and it was great to see old friends and meet a few new ones!

IMG_4374
Picnik collage

After the shower, we headed to Hot Springs to Lindsay's parents' condo.  As we were leaving, this unbelievable sense of freedom set in.  It is a bizarre feeling to be standing in a parking lot with a gaggle of girlfriends getting to decide what to do at 9 p.m.  That is not a normal part of my life, and it was so fun to experience this more care-free version of myself - the one where I do not have to manage what anyone else should eat or when they should sleep or listen to their whining.  My friends are really good a not whining.  It was a nice break.

Our duties as mothers did follow us a bit.  In a tradition of our girls' weekends, we had at least one nursing mother who needed to get pieces for a breast pump.  Nothing like a Wal-Mart run at 11 p.m.  It felt like college, except for what we needed.

IMG_4375

We had a delicious breakfast near the lake before we laid out at a pool for several hours.  We just talked and were able to finish conversations without interruption.  It is truly a blessing to have other mothers to connect to that are seeking the Lord in their lives.  It is encouraging and heart-warming to hear their stories and struggles and joys, and I love just them all so much!  We got to do a little bit of shopping, and all in all, we were shocked at how the time flew by.

IMG_4376
IMG_4377
IMG_4380

To round it all out, we went and saw the newest Harry Potter movie.  And, oh it was good.  Tears rolled down my cheeks as Hogwarts came under attack, because I am that dorky, and it really was that moving to me.  I felt that the movie did justice to the story, which is pretty amazing.  I can't believe it is all over, and part of me wishes that I still had the time to go see movies multiple times in the theater.  (I saw each of the Lord of the Rings movies 4 or 5 times in the theater, which indicates that I had too much time in college, and that I really like epic fantasy movies.)

IMG_4382
IMG_4383

And just like that, girls weekend was over.  I headed home to my responsibility and life, and as I walked in the door, John was sitting on the couch with both girls watching Tangled.  Everyone was happy and sweet, and the house was picked up.  Basically, it was a glorious home-coming, since that is not how our home always is.  John did such a great job taking care of the girls (he and two other brave dads took 8 kids out for dinner on Friday night and lived to tell about it) and really enjoyed the time he had with them.  I cuddled in with my little girlies and my hubby to watch the rest of Tangled, and counted my blessings one by one.  Though I loved hanging with my friends, I am glad that I feel that home is where I belong.

4 comments:

JDaniel4's Mom said...

What a wonderful getaway! It looks like you had a blast!

morgan smith said...

fun! we are going to have to implement this type of weekend into our CG:)

Micaiah said...

Sounds familiar! I met some JBU gals in hot springs for the weekend too!! So thankful for a capable husband to hold down the fort and for weekend getaways!!!

Kristin Murdock said...

Tangled is so good! Glad you had a fun weekend away. :)