Monday, January 18, 2016

MLK DAY

I read these words and get really teary eyed.

"I have a dream that one day ... little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers."

Martin Luther King Jr.

Untitled

That dream came true in my family.  They are black and white and sisters and brother, and the beauty of it in light of history is truly overwhelming.  We are tasting a small bit of the freedom that Martin Luther King Jr. advocated and fought for and eventually died for.  Today I went back and read the entirety of his famous I Have a Dream speech, which I'm sure I've read before, but I can't remember when.  He was an astounding and gifted writer, and the power of his words gave me chills while tears poured down my face.

We've come so far.  And we have so far still to go.

My children are free to go wherever they want, but they are not free from judgement and prejudice.  They currently live under the relative safety of our white privilege, but I dread the moments ahead when we will not be able to shield them from the racism that still plagues our society.  It is more subtle than it used to be and in many ways more dangerous for it.  It's harder to root out and kill, because it no longer lives in the law books of our country.  It takes refuge in human hearts, poisoning their minds and allowing prejudice and hatred to march on.

I'm guilty of it, and you probably are to, no matter what color you are.  Each of us has experiences that mark us for good and evil, and I'm praying that God continues to reveal the places in our hearts that need to reflect more of his love and heart for justice.  We are hoping to show our children that we can live in hope, knowing that we are all God's children, and he makes the way for our ultimate freedom.  Until that time, we will advocate and fight on behalf of our children and family and friends and brothers and sisters of color.  I'm so thankful for the privilege to see the world differently.

And today, I'm so thankful for men like Martin Luther King Jr. who paved the way to make my life and family possible.  

---------------

I was looking around the internet for good ways to expose my kiddos (especially the older ones) to what this day is about.  This is a fantastic resource, and I'm hoping to watch a couple of these clips with the girls tonight.  And, if you haven't yet seen the movie Selma, it would be another great way to see what Martin Luther King Jr. was able to accomplish.

Happy, MLK Day!

0 comments: