Sunday, September 25, 2016

OUR FIRST TASTES OF RWANDA

We are rounding out our first couple of days here in Kigali.  I think I forgot how long it really takes to get to Africa, since I haven't done it in 10 years.  But, we made it and with no travel drama, thank the Lord.  I actually slept 12 hours the first night here, which was a massive relief.  We got a rather slow start on our first day, and I appreciated being able to ease in.

So far, our time here has been rich and full, as I imagined it would be.  It really is the land of a thousand hills, and the views from almost every road seem unbelievable.  It is beautiful - truly.

IMG_6739
IMG_6759

People and cars and motorcycles and buses crowd the streets to create a bustling, thriving city landscape.  It is fascinating to observe and engage with.  Some of our trip highlights so far include:

- exchanging money and loving that animals are on the currency

Untitled
(I don't think those are CFA cows, but you never can tell 😜)

- shopping for things that look like Noonday jewelry but don't cost quite so much 🙌, though I guess I did pay for a plane ticket here, so it might be a wash 😳😁

Untitled
Untitled

- eating lunch at Heaven, which - let me just tell you - tasted like heaven.  It was a full buffet with a stunning vista and delightful little nooks and crannies to explore.

IMG_6745
IMG_6746
Untitled
(I felt like I legitimately needed 3 kinds of jam.)
Untitled
IMG_6755
IMG_6750
(Sugarcane that we got to sample)
IMG_6749
(Fresh avocados at every meal.  I'm officially obsessed.)
IMG_6751
(It feels a little tragic that these mangos are not yet ripe.)

- We attended New Life Church this morning.  Worshipping with brothers and sisters in other countries always feels like such a gift and privilege and reminder that heaven will be made up of every tribe, tongue and nation.

Untitled

- We also visited the Esther House, a program (by Africa New Life) that helps sponsor girls attending college here in Rwanda.  30 of the scholars met with us in a joyous time of fellowship, laughter, treats and learning.  We got to hear about their dreams, and I am amazed at the ways they are looking forward to sharing their lives in Rwanda to make it better.  They also danced and sang for us, which brought tears to my eyes from the sheer beauty of it until they had us join them. 😂

Untitled
Untitled

Also on our itinerary today was a visit to the Kigali Genocide Memorial, which I will write about in another post.  I don't have the words to describe it yet, and I'm not sure that I will ever be able to do it justice.

It's been an amazing trip so far, and we are only a couple of days in.  Thanks for following along and praying for us!

0 comments: