Friday, July 29, 2011

Our House: Entry and Organization Station

      I would love to be super organized.  Unfortunately, that is not exactly my strong-suit.  I can force it, but actually, John is much better at organizing than I am.  This can be a frustration when paper-work and life pile up around the house.  We have looked for systems that work for us, and finally, I think we are landing on what keeps us sane and picked up (a little).

IMG_9253

Picnik collage

      This is what greets us directly as we come in from the garage.  We found that rounded dresser at an antique store here in the Rock, and it fit the space perfectly, especially since it is rounded.  It means little heads are less likely to get jacked when they come careening around the corner.  Above the dresser are pieces of the organization system from Pottery Barn.  Of course I fell in love with this system and immediately starting looking for ways that I could recreate it or achieve the same effect.  After searching high and low, I eventually caved and just got it, because it really fit perfectly and was exactly what I wanted.
      I love having a calendar to redecorate each month, and it is nice to have a place to put all the birth announcements we receive (it is definitely that stage of life).  I keep a weekly dinner planner on the board by Cary Collins Designs (she goes to my church and is amazing!) (Her stuff is all super cute and mega affordable).  When I am actually on top of things, then I really do use it to plan out meals and know what I need to get, which is really helpful.  Since I sort of gave up cooking for the month of July, it has been a little empty.  The mail and magazine holder is so nice to have, so that it does not accumulate on our kitchen counter anymore.  However, it should be worth noting that you still have to go through the mail.  I made the mistake of sticking it in there for so long that I successfully lost two different water bills - I do all automatic draft now.

These are the other main walls of this space.

IMG_9255
IMG_9259


We just got those frames of the girls' first year pictures by Main Street Studios hung - I got the frames from this Etsy shop.  I ♥ Etsy.  I also really ♥ seeing those sweet girlies smiling at me as I walk through the hallway.  The key wall is all stuff we have had since we first got married, but I still really like it, and it is nice to have a place to put my keys.

I am still working on getting the inside of the drawers organized.  Here they are.

Picnik collage

Top Drawer: Mailing supplies, extra note cards, label maker, and current coupons
2nd Drawer: Camera supplies (so I can quickly grab them if headed out the door), and head lamps
3rd Drawer: I hope that someday this drawer houses an Information file for our family with medical info and school info - should probably make that soon
4th Drawer: I put Lily's art work that I think I may keep into this drawer.  I am planning on going through this each year and compiling my favorites.
It is all a work in progress.

So you can get an idea of how this hall works - this is the door to our garage with the key wall next to it, and the picture frames in the foreground.

IMG_9258


If you look one direction from the space, you see into the kitchen, and the other direction, you can see the front door.

Picnik collage

What are the best ways you have found to organize all the paperwork that comes into your home?  I need all the help I can get, especially since it will just be increasing with little friends.

If you want to see more pictures from our house, you can click here.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

The frames are adorable! And I of course love the photos!

Anonymous said...

I love how you have everything all together. I wish I had a hallway wall that we could set up an organization station on.