Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Swallowing My Toads

      Yesterday, I spent a lot of time swallowing toads.  My dad used to tell me that any time you had to do something you really didn't feel like doing, it was "swallowing a toad."  Not sure why.  He would say, "Every day you have to swallow some toads, and it is better to get it over with."  Still makes me laugh, and I now realize what sage advice this really is.  I like having fun.  I mean, really, who doesn't?  But I really like it and being an adult has meant that I have to pick real life over fun more often than I would like.
      Case in point: yesterday.  I made myself just do the stuff that I needed to do instead of the stuff I really wanted to do.

IMG_9157

Toad Swallowing: Paper Work.  Being an adult requires far too much paperwork - even with most of our bills paid online.  I was behind, and in fact, this toad still needs to get down the rest of my throat, because I have not quite finished with this mess I left in John's office.

IMG_9158

Toad Swallowing: Really Cleaning My House.  Our house is pretty large, which is such a blessing.  Until it is time to clean, that is.  And we have people coming, so it needed a real cleaning.  Which it got yesterday.

IMG_9162
IMG_9160

Bella is Learning to Swallow Toads Too.  Okay, I wish I could teach her that teething is just a part of her life that she should learn to deal with.  Unfortunately, she cries like a baby about it, and I have to remind myself that she is a baby, and I am the one who just has to deal with it.  And love on her.  An extra lot right now.  Poor girl.

IMG_9166

Toad Swallowing: Doing the Dishes.  As you can clearly see, nothing on this list is that hard or should be outside the norm.  I do the dishes regularly, but I certainly don't always feel like doing them.

Picnik collage

Toad Swallowing: Laundry.  There is always more of it.  And where is that other pink shoe/sock?  In my purse?  In the diaper bag?  Stuffed into a bird house in my living room?  I still don't know.

IMG_9171

This is what I wanted to be doing.  Working on a crafty project with these buttons that I just got in the mail from eBay.  They were just sitting there, mocking me.  Have you noticed how buttons are all over Pinterest?  Because I have, and I want them for myself.  But yesterday was not meant for button fun.  It was meant for swallowing toads.
      I had a lot of time to think during all my menial tasks, and it was an exercise in finding joy in all things.  Just because I may not love catching up on paperwork and housework, I am glad to be able to serve my family in this way.  I am privileged that my toads are really quite small and mundane right now - they go down pretty easily, and I know that in doing these things well, I bring glory to the Lord, who sees my heart.  And, it feels pretty good to be caught up.  (sort of.  for now.  not for long.)

5 comments:

Linds said...

well, we swallowed the same toads yesterday. I literally folded clothes for close to an hour. It was pure torture, and at one point I wanted to cry. Hope you get to have some button fun today!

Stephanie said...

I should've been swallowing most of those toads as well! And our little E is teething right now too and it stinks! She has her second top tooth breaking through, the first one broke through last week- poor things, I hate teething! Your home look beautiful and I am sure you feel great when everything is in order :) We just usually hate getting there! Have a wonderful day!

Katie said...

I love that saying! I am currently avoiding swallowing some toads right now. Thanks for the giggle! :]

Joeylee said...

I'm avioding swallowing some toads too! Mainly the laundry!
My littlest one is teething too, she had her bottom tooth break through and now has her second bottom one getting ready to break through...teething is no fun, she cries all day so we've been giving LOTS of love too.

Anonymous said...

I am toads that need to be taken care of today.