Tuesday, February 04, 2014

MAKING OUR VALENTINE'S MANTEL

I love the pinks and reds and hearts that Valentine's Day brings along with it, and I wanted to do something simple to put on our mantel for the occasion.  We need some brightness up in here with all the gloomy weather we've been getting.

IMG_6850

We picked out cheap-o wooden letters at Hobby Lobby, and I let the girls paint them.  I figured that since I wasn't going for perfection anyway, it would be a great activity for them.

IMG_6789
IMG_6794
IMG_6796

This went pretty well, though Bella finished much more quickly than Lily who was much more precise.  William did manage to pull the paint off of the table, and I had to remind him that there is no need to cry over spilt paint.  (Unless it's a whole can of latex spilt onto carpet - then you get a free cry card.)

IMG_6801

I love the way it came out.  I strung doilies onto baker's twine to hang underneath the letters and collected branches from our back yard to go behind the letters.  I jimmy-rigged the letters to stay up by taping cardboard onto the back of them as little stands.  They haven't fallen over since I got it right, so that seems like a good sign.

In other Valentine's decorating news, I added mail boxes for William and Violet - though the pictures don't indicate that I haven't yet glued them to the candlesticks, so please don't mess with them.  Stop messing!  (Here's last year's post about the mailboxes that includes a link to a tutorial on them.)

IMG_6846

Lily made the most precious love note for John while he was gone this weekend.

Untitled

We've also been enjoying learning about a new attribute of love each day with our Valentine's Advent thingie. I don't know what else to call it since it's not a calendar.  Anyway, we do it at breakfast each morning, and the girls have really paid close attention each day.

IMG_6852

Though our Bible study was canceled today, I am actually enjoying the slow pace and the beautiful view of frozen trees.  I have, however, banned the Frozen soundtrack from being played anymore today.

IMG_6856

If you are iced or snowed in - I hope you are staying warm and cozy.  If you aren't, well - that must be nice.  Enjoy the pleasantness of being able to move about your normal life while I am enjoying the pause in mine.  Happy Tuesday!

0 comments: