Tuesday, March 01, 2016

HIGHS & LOWS OF LATELY

It's March and was 70 degrees today - my birthday month is starting off right!  It's feeling a bit on the crazy side here these days - this is what's up.

High:  The warm winter.  We have LOVED the lack of major snow this winter.  We've been outside more, and that is good for everyone.  Business has also been good at the restaurant, and we had our biggest month ever in February.

Untitled
Untitled

Low:  William does not want to use his incredibly capable little legs to walk himself anywhere, and we've finally drawn the line to make him.  This is what that looks like.  Today he cried ALL the way into church and ALL the way out as I dragged him by the hand.  Walking is so hard.

Untitled

High:  As the twins have gotten older, they have definitely developed into fun little people who love to play and have sweet sisters who love them dearly.  I love capturing those moments.

Untitled

Low:  I've been pitiful at half-heartedly potty training Violet, which means the whole process has stalled at this very annoying place where she is fully in diapers and fully wanting to go potty everywhere.  I know it is my fault, but I just haven't had the emotional energy or time to invest and really go there.  But - girl knows how to rock some boots.

Untitled

High:  John got all brilliant this weekend and strapped the twins' mattresses to their bed frames using luggage straps that run under their sheets.  It prevents the scene pictured below and has worked beautifully.  But, even as we were attaching them, we noticed Violet in particular looking over and under and around.  It sort of felt like we were saying, "Your move, babies."  So far, the mattresses have stayed securely in place, so it feels like we are winning this little battle.

Untitled

Low:  A couple of weeks ago, it was parent/teacher conference day at school, and I was scheduled at 10:30 a.m.  I was on the phone with John at 10:45 a.m., when he gently asked if I had remembered to go.  Which I had not.  I screwed up the scheduling of conferences last time around, so basically I felt like a giant parent failure.  I immediately started texting and messaging the teacher apologies, and she  graciously worked me in that afternoon where I continued to apologize.  Maybe someday I will get this right - just not this year, apparently.

Untitled

High:  John's dad is making a full recovery at our house and should be well enough to travel tomorrow.  The kiddos have had a great time having their grandparents in town to give them extra loving.

Untitled

High:  I had a great time in Wichita with my family, and the girls were great travel companions.  It's nice to get glimpses of the future and realize that things really do get better, and some things are really great right now.

Untitled
Untitled

Low:  Earlier in the day on Saturday, Bella had fallen off the porch and cut her face near her eye.  (Hearing the girls tell the story does nothing to clarify what actually happened.)  It didn't appear too bad (to my very untrained eyes), so I cleaned it, put anti-bacterial ointment on it and a bandaid and drove to Wichita.  At bedtime, it occurred to me that maybe I should have my nurse mother and sister-in-law look at it, which they did.  And they both said we should go get stitches.  This news was not what Bella wanted to hear, and it took a bowl of ice cream and the promise of a movie just to get her to the car.

Untitled

Thankfully, once we got to the ER, she did great.  They numbed her up with a cream, reopened the wound a bit because it had already begun to heal, and then stitched her up - a real delight to watch.  She did not bat even the eye close to her wound.  I'm sure it helped that she had an iPad to stare at and couldn't feel a thing.  Having Aunt Ashley along and working on bunting for Aunt Laura's shower helped make it all more fun.

Untitled

High:  This picture of my awesome brother.  I really love him.

Untitled

Low:  Our time in Wichita was too short (less than 24 hours), and the girls and I left after the shower clean-up, around 5:30.  They did great in the car, but it meant that we got home around midnight, and Monday morning came fast and early and with all of its usual intensity.  The pace of the last couple of weeks has us spinning a bit, and we're all still trying to catch our bearings.

Untitled

As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, we're starting another month, and we're trying to catch our breath.  I'm not sure that March will bring the breathing room we want, but I know that God will give us what we need, as we need it.

0 comments: