Thursday, September 08, 2011

Harvest Pumpkin Soup: Just in Time for Fall

      Well, the temperature drop makes me feel like fall is here, though I know we are not quite there.  I did buy Candy Corn and fall clothes for the girls, so for practical purposes, I think I have welcomed fall.  I also made my favorite fall soup - Harvest Pumpkin Soup.  It is based on this recipe from All Recipes, but I think I have made enough modifications to officially call it my own.  Even if you don't love pumpkin flavor, you might want to give this one a go - John doesn't like pumpkin pie (I don't love it either), but we both really enjoy this soup.

IMG_9832

Here's what you need.

IMG_9812

2 cans of Pumpkin (actual pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling)
3 cups of Chicken Stock
3/4 cup of Half and Half
1/4 cup of Orange Juice
1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
2 TBsp Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp Ground Sage
1 heaping TBsp Minced Garlic
1 1/2 tsp Salt

4 TBsp Sour Cream for Garnishing

This soup is really easy, and since most of the ingredients are things I can keep on hand or are in cans, it can be whipped up quite quickly.  Put your pumpkin into your pot, and then add the chicken stock.

IMG_9816

And the half and half.  (You can also use Heavy Whipping Cream to get a creamier flavor.)

IMG_9820

Add the orange juice.

IMG_9822

Then, the brown sugar and the garlic - just keep mixing it all in.

Picnik collage

Next up, the sage.

IMG_9826

Then, I add a dash of several other things - the nutmeg, and this time, I tried a little Cayenne, which was good, as well as dried Parsley.  Yum.

IMG_9827

Lastly, salt to taste and warm until heated through to your desired temperature.  This soup can very much be customized if you like more kick and zest, just add more orange juice, garlic or cayenne.

IMG_9828

Then, garnish with sour cream and serve!  I threw a little dried parsley on there for effect, and fresh parsley would make it really pretty.  I love to eat this with thick, hearty bread and a salad with chicken on it for protein.

IMG_9830

We gobbled it down, and this was the clean up crew after dinner.

Picnik collage

So great to have everyone really giving their all to help out.  Happy fall - well, it will be soon, anyway.

1 comments:

Kristin Murdock said...

Can you imagine what it would taste like if one were to use pumpkin pie filling instead of pumpkin puree? SICK! :) Looks yummy, and sounds even yummier with some crusty bread.