Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My Letters

      This morning Bloom started at our church, and I must say that it is such a privilege to gather with other mothers to seek the Lord together.  What refreshment for my heart.  And, my group from last year is remaining together, so it was wonderful to see the familiar faces and the sincerity evidenced in that room.  Bloom stands for "Building a Legacy Out Of Motherhood," which resonates with me so much.  I am currently reading through 2 Corinthians, and two days ago, I came across these verses in chapter 3.

"You are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by all men; being manifested that you are a letter of Christ, cared for by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts."   2 Corinthians 3:2-4

      Paul was writing to the church of Corinth, saying that they were his letter to be read by all and went on to say that they were actually Christ's letter that Paul had cared for that had been written on by the Spirit of the living God.  It gives me chills just to write it - the Spirit of the living God is writing on the tablets of my children's hearts, just as he is still writing on mine.  They are His letters, that I get to care for - they are my letters, written on my heart, to be read and known by others.
      What a joy to know that the Spirit of the living God has things to write in the hearts of Lily and Bella, and that I get to care for them and partner with him in that!  The responsibility feels overwhelming at times, and I so often feel that I make my life all about me and not about him.  But, he is working in spite of that and through the mess of it.
       I am so looking forward to the study we are doing in Bloom, about looking at the hearts of our children - not just behavior modification.  How often do I just try for behavior modification even in my own life, all the while knowing that real heart change needs to happen?  I want our family to have hearts that reflect his, that are his.

IMG_9650
IMG_9651
IMG_9652

They are my letters.  I hope that good will be read there in the days and years to come, and I hope that it will come from his writing on our hearts.

3 comments:

Mom Spenst said...

Carol, how we appreciate you and your heart for your children. How blessed we are to know that our grandgirls are being raised with such a loving, Biblical foundation. We love you!!

Morgan Smith said...

thanks for sharing this morning. and i loved this post. i echo you in praying that our little ones will have hearts like his and thatARE His... excited about this study!!

Katie said...

Thank you so much for sharing that passage! I hope you & your friends are blessed through BLOOM! It is such a blessing to have other mommies to fellowship with in this season of our lives.